Looking for a book?

Started by Jarhead0331, August 10, 2021, 08:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

If you're looking for a recommendation for your library, post it here.

I'll start...Lately, I've been in the mood for something beefy about the first Gulf War. Does anybody have any good recommendations for a detailed reference book covering Desert Shield/Desert Storm? I'm talking about a reference type book with maps, charts, OOBs, etc.

I've done general searches on google, amazon and other commercial sources and have not found anything that appears to be the reference style I am looking for.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

Looked through the bibliography of Atkinson's Crusade.  Not sure how accessable it is but it listed Certain Victory: The American Army in the Gulf War by the US Army Special Study Group, February 1993 (draft).  There is also listed The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm by the Department of the Navy, May 1991.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on August 10, 2021, 09:01:39 AM
Looked through the bibliography of Atkinson's Crusade.  Not sure how accessable it is but it listed Certain Victory: The American Army in the Gulf War by the US Army Special Study Group, February 1993 (draft).  There is also listed The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm by the Department of the Navy, May 1991.

Ah. Good idea to check the bibliography. I have Crusade somewhere.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Not certain on the beefiness of it, but iirc, GDW put out a Desert Shield/Desert Storm book - pretty sure (if Twilight 2k is any indication) there'd be charts, maps and all sorts of crunchy stuffs.

Downside is that you'd have to get it used, if you can even find it at all.

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Redwolf

Can somebody recommend first-hand accounts from WW2 naval surface operations? English or German language.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

The Mammoth Book of Eyewitness Naval Battles  edited by Richard Russell Lawrence
https://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Eyewitness-Naval-Battles/dp/0786712384/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mammoth+book+of+eyewitness&qid=1631311820&s=books&sr=1-5
Covers all history.  WW2 section is about 150 pages long.

Tripoli

Quote from: Redwolf on September 10, 2021, 11:07:39 AM
Can somebody recommend first-hand accounts from WW2 naval surface operations? English or German language.

I second AZTank's recommendation of "Japanese Destroyer Captain."  It is a must-read.  Also, "A History of United States Destroyer Operations in WWII" is good.  This book was written in the 1950s, but is based largely on the ship operations reports, so it is effectively a first hand account of various actions, from the perspective of DE/DD sailors.

(https://www.amazon.com/United-States-Destroyer-Operations-World/dp/0870217267/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Theodore+Roscoe&qid=1631474948&sr=8-1)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

solops

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 10, 2021, 12:22:20 PM
For WW2 Naval Surface first hand account, it does not get better than

"Japanese Destroyer Captain" by Tameichi Hara.

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Destroyer-Captain-Guadalcanal-Battles/dp/1591143845/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JSR1NHGBF8FA&dchild=1&keywords=japanese+destroyer+captain&qid=1631293775&sprefix=japanese+destroy%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-1

An outstanding book that I have read many times. Capt. Hara also commanded the light cruiser (Yahagi?) that sailed with the Yamato on its last sorti, which is in the book.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Toonces

I was looking for books "like Game of Thrones" and came across a recommendation for a series called The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRJSVG7?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin&qid=1639000169&sr=8-1

Have any of you read any of this series, and if so would you recommend it?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

matt3916

I read the first three or so.  Used interlibrary loan for them.  Never bothered to finish the series.  Didn't think that much of the quality of the writing.  Ended up disliking all of the characters.  It IS Game of Thrones like though.  Lots of bloodshed and double dealing.  I'd say give it a try.  If you like the first one, the rest are more of the same.

Toonces

Alright, this is a seemingly easy one.

I'm looking for a book that covers the European Theater of WW2.  No Pacific Theater, just European.

I have Atkinson's 3-volume trilogy, but I'm looking for something more from the German perspective, or something less U.S.-centric.

I also have Churchill's memoirs, but haven't read past the first volume; if that's a proper choice let me know that, too.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Bump!

You all disappoint me, this one's a layup.

matt3916

Robert M. Citino maybe?  Specifically, his three volumes on Wehrmacht campaigns, 1942, 1943 and 1944-45.