About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

no doubt the whole thing was a shit show.  no doubt that intel was in serious short supply.  no doubt that all of the Lt. Col. points are completely valid.
I just think he chose a very bad path to get his msg out.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 30, 2021, 10:14:04 AM
But don't the military swear an oath to, "The Constitution" not any President, or administration? I don't see how questioning the actions of superior officers violates that. But that's just me after all.

When someone is talking smack at a "national media notice," level, then I dare say some very strongly worded memos have wound their way out of the Pentagon to lower, and in typical military fashion, someone has to be the example of what not to do.

z1812

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 30, 2021, 11:03:12 PM
no doubt the whole thing was a shit show.  no doubt that intel was in serious short supply.  no doubt that all of the Lt. Col. points are completely valid.

If I recall correctly his option to retire was not far off. As you mentioned earlier he might have been wiser to wait for his retirement to publish his concerns. I do hope all works out well for him.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: z1812 on October 01, 2021, 08:34:47 AM

If I recall correctly his option to retire was not far off. As you mentioned earlier he might have been wiser to wait for his retirement to publish his concerns. I do hope all works out well for him.

I understand that the concept of putting the health and security of the Nation and one's brothers and sisters in arms above the interests of one's self is foreign to most Americans. The fact of the matter is that LT COL Scheller clearly felt the need was urgent enough to go public with his concerns immediately. In his opinion, the failure of the highest level of leadership in the military is dire and the inability for them to accept any accountability and the consequences of this inability do not permit him to remain silent. Certainly not for the three years until his retirement. Furthermore, the strength and power behind the willingness of one in Scheller's shoes to risk all and put everything on the line to get his message across speaks for itself.

So, yes. Was it a decision with severe personal consequences? Absolutely. Was it a decision that took great personal courage? Absolutely. Was it a decision that was made in the best interests of the country and the military? Absolutely. That this leader would be criticized or chastised for making public his concerns is incredible to me. It was certainly not the easy path to take, and for that, he should be commended. He is exactly the kind of leader the military and this country needs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

I think the disconnect here is that you think that someone like myself is criticizing his concerns.  I'm not.  I'm criticizing his timing of going public with those concerns.  for that I think he jumped the gun and supposedly ruined his and his families life for a message thats already disappeared into the ether.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2021, 08:24:02 PM
I think the disconnect here is that you think that someone like myself is criticizing his concerns.  I'm not.  I'm criticizing his timing of going public with those concerns.  for that I think he jumped the gun and supposedly ruined his and his families life for a message thats already disappeared into the ether.

Why do you think he jumped the gun? 12 American Marines and 1 Navy sailor had just been killed. How many more would have to die before it wouldn't have been "jumping the gun"? Like I said, the notion that some might risk their own personal liberty and comfort to save the lives of brothers and sisters in arms is foreign to most Americans. He mentioned in his videos that he discussed this with his family before he went public. It is obviously a decision they made together.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

I think the timing of his statement was the most courageous part of his video. Just when everybody else in the military and government was keeping their mouths shut to, 'Go along to get along' is when Col. Scheller decided to speak-up. The easiest thing to do would've been wait until he had nothing to risk, then ask his questions.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

solops

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 01, 2021, 09:58:26 PM
I think the timing of his statement was the most courageous part of his video. Just when everybody else in the military and government was keeping their mouths shut to, 'Go along to get along' is when Col. Scheller decided to speak-up. The easiest thing to do would've been wait until he had nothing to risk, then ask his questions.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Ward Carroll is a former Tomcat RIO who now has a pretty popular youtube series. He typically talks about aviation related topics, but sometimes delves into other topics.

I find his summary and overview of this situation to be very detailed and thoughtful. He flags all the key highlights and boils it down very well and in a balanced manner. It even has me looking at the situation in a bit of a different light. In particular, I was interested in his thoughts on the consequences of Scheller's actions to his direct chain of command and think they are particularly insightful.

It is worth watching for everyone with an interest.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Atilla60

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2021, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: z1812 on October 01, 2021, 08:34:47 AM

I understand that the concept of putting the health and security of the Nation and one's brothers and sisters in arms above the interests of one's self is foreign to most Americans. The fact of the matter is that LT COL Scheller clearly felt the need was urgent enough to go public with his concerns immediately. In his opinion, the failure of the highest level of leadership in the military is dire and the inability for them to accept any accountability and the consequences of this inability do not permit him to remain silent. Certainly not for the three years until his retirement. Furthermore, the strength and power behind the willingness of one in Scheller's shoes to risk all and put everything on the line to get his message across speaks for itself.

So, yes. Was it a decision with severe personal consequences? Absolutely. Was it a decision that took great personal courage? Absolutely. Was it a decision that was made in the best interests of the country and the military? Absolutely. That this leader would be criticized or chastised for making public his concerns is incredible to me. It was certainly not the easy path to take, and for that, he should be commended. He is exactly the kind of leader the military and this country needs.

Once upon a time that was called integrity.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

The last line, especially the first two points, will cement his legacy as a hero to everyone who served under him and beyond:

"His other charges include contempt toward officers, disrespect toward superior commissioned officers and failure to obey order or regulation."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2021, 10:41:47 AM
...and an extremely lenient sentence. Letter of reprimand and forfeiture of pay for one month in the amount of $5,000.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scheller-marine-who-criticized-afghanistan-withdrawal-sentenced-reprimand-pay-forfeiture

It is an "extremely lenient sentence" indeed.

During his 1925 court martial for violating the 96th Article of War, Colonel Billy Mitchell pleaded not guilty to charges brought against him by the Secretary of War at the direction of President Coolidge. The court found Mitchell guilty of the charges and then suspended him from duty and ordered the forfeiture of all his pay and allowances for five years.

https://www.historynet.com/the-court-martial-of-colonel-bill-mitchell.htm

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0812mitchell/

30 years later, actor Gary Cooper portrayed Mitchell in the Otto Preminger directed motion picture titled "The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047956/
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."