Main Menu

Dear Esther

Started by bboyer66, February 13, 2012, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

Oh hell with it, I will buy it tonight.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bboyer66

Well I played it. The game (and it is in no way a game) lasts about 1.5 hours.
You, or whatever you are is on an island. You explore the island, and narration and visuals pretty much give you clues and backround story to something that happened. Using this limited info at your disposal,  you make your own conclusions, and like a piece of art, everyone will have a different take on it.
  When I was done I must say that I haven't been so confused since the ending of David Lynches Mullholand Drive.
At $9.99 the price is a little steep for an hour and a half of you moving around an island.

Pros
Beautiful Scenery
A great moody soundtrack
It makes your brain work

Cons
Price
Not actually a game
Length
What the hell just happened to me
Think I fell asleep in the middle

Verdict
Pass untill the price drops and then pass again.

Staggerwing

Did you hear Richard Burton narrating while you explored the island? I thought I could hear him in one of the youtube vids.
Also, outside of the main quest, is there enough pointless but good looking detail to add another hour or so of aimless wandering?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: bboyer66 on February 16, 2012, 03:14:21 PM
Well I played it. The game (and it is in no way a game) lasts about 1.5 hours.
You, or whatever you are is on an island. You explore the island, and narration and visuals pretty much give you clues and backround story to something that happened. Using this limited info at your disposal,  you make your own conclusions, and like a piece of art, everyone will have a different take on it.
  When I was done I must say that I haven't been so confused since the ending of David Lynches Mullholand Drive.
At $9.99 the price is a little steep for an hour and a half of you moving around an island.

Pros
Beautiful Scenery
A great moody soundtrack
It makes your brain work

Cons
Price
Not actually a game
Length
What the hell just happened to me
Think I fell asleep in the middle

Verdict
Pass untill the price drops and then pass again.

Wow. What a disappointment. Thanks for sharing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

I so completely love being right.   ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I feel like we should compensate boyer for taking one for the team. Want a donut?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bboyer66

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 16, 2012, 03:30:16 PM
Did you hear Richard Burton narrating while you explored the island? I thought I could hear him in one of the youtube vids.
Also, outside of the main quest, is there enough pointless but good looking detail to add another hour or so of aimless wandering?

Is that who was narrating the long Shakespearean style dialogue.  I now hate Richard Burton. (Burton died in 84, but whoever did the dialogue, damn them to Hades) 

Trust me, after you leave the island you want a shot and a beer. Not to go back.

bboyer66

Epee1

Thanks Bboyer66 for taking the hit and posting the review.