The Future of the F-35 Italy cuts back

Started by MIGMaster, February 15, 2012, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 27, 2012, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on March 27, 2012, 01:58:21 PM
Some new negative press:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/26/pol-f35s-fighter-jets.html

The fact that they might not be the right birds for us only goes to guarantee that we'll buy them!!  ::)

how was the Hornet not a right buy?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Some new negative press:

The fact that they might not be the right birds for us only goes to guarantee that we'll buy them!!  ::)

I'll be the Brits can get a deal on them with screen doors included for no extra charge ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Quote from: Windigo on March 27, 2012, 03:26:56 PM
Some new negative press:

how was the Hornet not a right buy?

I would have bought a mix of F-16s and and A-10s & saved some $$, but overall I'm fine with the Hornets.

However, might I interest you in a sub?
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 27, 2012, 05:44:44 PM
However, might I interest you in a sub?

I dunno, does it come equipped with the screen doors LB mentioned?  :o

Centurion40

MIGMaster

I'm really starting to think we should be going with Super Hornets as the number of F-35's is dropping rapidly. Australia has ordered 2  :o Doesn't make much sense to me ??? We're going to end up fighting in asymmetrical warfare scenarios with an aircraft equipped for air to air and stand-off strike missions.... Meanwhile we still have no dedicated helo gunships or close air support which would be more relevant to our current operational needs.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 28, 2012, 06:53:12 AM
We're going to end up fighting in asymmetrical warfare scenarios with an aircraft equipped for air to air and stand-off strike missions.... Meanwhile we still have no dedicated helo gunships or close air support which would be more relevant to our current operational needs.

I dunno. Everyone seems to make the mistake of planning for the last war. I certainly don't want to see two well-organized militaries tangle, but deterrence is part of the game.

I agree that two jets is not likely to get Australia very far, though they will look good at air shows. 
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I'm really starting to think we should be going with Super Hornets as the number of F-35's is dropping rapidly. Australia has ordered 2  :o Doesn't make much sense to me ??? We're going to end up fighting in asymmetrical warfare scenarios with an aircraft equipped for air to air and stand-off strike missions.... Meanwhile we still have no dedicated helo gunships or close air support which would be more relevant to our current operational needs.

We (Canadians) need to look long-term.  In the next 20 years, who are we likely to face in combat?  Are we going to face a major military power like Russia or China in a total war?  Or are we going to be in more smaller wars like Afghanistan and/or peace making/keeping ops?  What is the bang for the buck?

I'd vote for a dozen F-35s (or Super Hornets or Rafales) to keep the Russkies and UFOs at bay.  Then I'd try to get my hands on a lot more A-10s or AH-64s for ground support.

Windigo

I say go for a self defence force as 1st priority, then go with an uber equipped land force for our overseas dalliances... the ameros can provide cap .... hell if they get that magrail gun working properly it will dominate!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on March 28, 2012, 10:18:34 AM
... the ameros can provide cap .... hell if they get that magrail gun working properly it will dominate!

I think I prefer 'Amis' or 'Muricans to 'Ameros'. The latter sounds too much like a unit of currency in a post-apocalyptic
amalgam of the US and MeHico...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 28, 2012, 08:02:27 PM
Quote from: Windigo on March 28, 2012, 10:18:34 AM
... the ameros can provide cap .... hell if they get that magrail gun working properly it will dominate!

I think I prefer 'Amis' or 'Muricans to 'Ameros'. The latter sounds too much like a unit of currency in a post-apocalyptic
amalgam of the US and MeHico...

Ameros (LIKE ARROWS) rolls off the tongue so nicely it has a bit of sci-fi poetry to it. But it can be changed to Amis if you like. Amis sounds French though and some people here don't seem to like the french

MIGMaster

I always used the term Yanks until I found some people from the Southern US that were offended - then I laughed and mocked their southern drawl and that was the end of my career in tourism. Tune in next week when I tell you about my brief career as a milk man  ;)

Steelgrave

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 28, 2012, 09:38:51 PM
Tune in next week when I tell you about my brief career as a milk man  ;)

There are a lot of kids along your route with eyes that match yours???

Centurion40

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 28, 2012, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on March 28, 2012, 09:38:51 PM
Tune in next week when I tell you about my brief career as a milk man  ;)

There are a lot of kids along your route with eyes that match yours???

Nope.  :)  Nobody bought his milk!!  ;)  ;D

MIGMaster

Eeooh...I even find that disturbing  ;)