The Future of the F-35 Italy cuts back

Started by MIGMaster, February 15, 2012, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Shelldrake

Interesting phrasing in the Federal budget re the F18 replacement.

"...the government will buy an "affordable" replacement for the current CF-18 fighter fleet."

It's not clear yet what impact the other cuts to the military's budget will have.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/budget/SOMNIA/article2386038/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

I'm hoping that they will buy a certain number of F-35's and then supplement it with an updated current generation fighter like the Superhornet or stealthy F-15. I'm still at a loss to figure out why we wouldn't buy F-22's which are already in service and are probably just as an effective platform as the F-35 would be for our purposes. The Only reason I can figued is the F-22 is open for export.

Shelldrake

I think the no export clause rules out the F22, which is also a bit of a hangar queen in terms of maintenance costs. This article makes a case for the Eurofighter as a interim measure and to supplement a smaller fleet of F35s.

http://www.embassymag.ca/dailyupdate/view/develop_f35_alternatives_or_face_consequences_03-28-2012
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

MIGMaster

I was thinking more like Superhornet as the transition would probably be smoother given our current "installed base" (if you will) of Hornets

Centurion40

I like the idea of a longer-range air superiority fighter.  We have a long-range nation.

MIGMaster

That's why the F-22 makes sense. A plane already in operation ! Even if we only bought 20. regardless, I suspect the political pressure from other memeber nations on the F-35 project would be quite intense if we wanted to pull out. As someone had mentioned before the F-35 is too big to fail - even if it turns out to be less than successful. 

Centurion40

Yeah, the F-22 does.  But will the Americans sell them to us?  Maybe DND should start lobbying Lockheed Martin!

Yeah, this works for me:

Shelldrake

That F-22 would sure look good with a maple leaf emblazoned on it but I doubt that our recent intelligence leak will help us in any negotiations with the US government.

Dean Edell

Centurion40

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 30, 2012, 10:59:33 AM
That F-22 would sure look good with a maple leaf emblazoned on it but I doubt that our recent intelligence leak will help us in any negotiations with the US government.

Yeah, but the traitor was RCN.  These birds would be going to the RCAF.  I know, I know, they're the same org at the heart.

Centurion40

Off that they'd let us buy F-35s but not F-22s.

MIGMaster

I'm hoping they replace the CP-140 Aurora's with the P-8A Poseidon in the near future. Maritime aircraft will certainly be a necessary commodity in the future - it would be nice to get that right

Centurion40

I figure that they'll replace the Aurora with drones.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the Poseidon.  I'd guess that we'd call it the Neptune, but we've already had a Neptune.  So maybe we'd call it the Aquaman!  ;)

Windigo

We just need a bunch of aerial tankers... to refuel amero planes flying patrol for us     ;)

what we really need are WMD towable and launchable behind snowmobiles
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.