Another CF-18 Upgrade Required ?

Started by MIGMaster, February 20, 2012, 07:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I wonder how many countries will be in this situation ? I know the last MLU (mid-life upgrade) on our 18's was exactly the same as the US and Australian version so I suspect there will be quite a market if the F-35 is delayed.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/64933-aging-jets-may-need-gentle-use-if-f-35s-delayed

Windigo

I wonder what Super Hornets would cost?  Maybe we can partner with India and France and build some Rafs on the cheap.....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MIGMaster

According to Wikipedia Boeing was upset when Canada didn't even consider the Super Hornet stealth characteristics in looking at new fighters.  The development of the F-35 will cetainly impact a number of nations and what they will be purchasing over the nexty few years. It's sorta like the Airbus A 400 - every one is waiting and leasing C-17's in the interim.

Windigo

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 29, 2012, 02:20:11 PM
According to Wikipedia Boeing was upset when Canada didn't even consider the Super Hornet stealth characteristics in looking at new fighters.  The development of the F-35 will cetainly impact a number of nations and what they will be purchasing over the nexty few years. It's sorta like the Airbus A 400 - every one is waiting and leasing C-17's in the interim.

didn't Canada lease a couple of those behemouth russian jobbies???

MIGMaster

Yeah - we contracted the Big Russian jobs (An-124's and/or An-70's maybe ?) to move our stuff around. I believe we also lease 3 C-17's too

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 29, 2012, 05:20:24 PM
Yeah - we contracted the Big Russian jobs (An-124's and/or An-70's maybe ?) to move our stuff around. I believe we also lease 3 C-17's too

Actually, we bought...I wanna say 6?...C17's. Don't know if all of them have been delivered yet, but some have.

MIGMaster

4 is the magic number....I was checking out the DND site.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/cc177/index-eng.asp

Some interesting info on Wiki about the long term lease agreement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III.

It also mentions that the Antonov's we used were An-124 for the Haiti thing.

Wonder if MacKay ever hitched a ride on one those  ;)

Centurion40

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 29, 2012, 07:50:16 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on February 29, 2012, 05:20:24 PM

Actually, we bought...I wanna say 6?...C17's. Don't know if all of them have been delivered yet, but some have.

Bingo.  We call 'em CC-177.  We got 4 of 'em.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/cc177/index-eng.asp

Any time is a good time for pie.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 29, 2012, 08:06:17 PM

Is that the massive 6 engine monstrosity? One of those was actually parked on the tarmac at the Edmonton Airport one night when I was working there. Good grief are those things enormous!

MIGMaster

Four engine in this case - but I think we used the larger one (An-225 ???) for the Afghan mission.

AN-124

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 29, 2012, 08:13:50 PM
Four engine in this case - but I think we used the larger one (An-225 ???) for the Afghan mission.

AN-124

Ah yes, you are correct. Saw some 124's up close as well. Those are gigantic, but the 225 is ridiculous. It doesn't look like it should even be able to take off.

Staggerwing

Wow...just Wow!

QuoteThe An-225 has since become the workhorse of the Antonov Airlines fleet, transporting objects once thought impossible to move by air, such as locomotives and 150-ton generators. It has become an asset to international relief organizations for its ability to quickly transport huge quantities of emergency supplies during disaster relief operations.[19]
http://dhananjay00919220890710.blogspot.com/2011/01/antonov-225.html

BTW, Antonov is, IIRC, a Ukrainian company.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 29, 2012, 08:10:59 PM

Is that the massive 6 engine monstrosity? One of those was actually parked on the tarmac at the Edmonton Airport one night when I was working there. Good grief are those things enormous!

Hmmmmm, you ever do Quartermaster work at CFB Wainwright? Or CFB Cold Lake?

Windigo

An-225:  Chuck Norris approved to fly - so it does.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Windigo on March 01, 2012, 01:18:42 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 29, 2012, 08:10:59 PM

Hmmmmm, you ever do Quartermaster work at CFB Wainwright? Or CFB Cold Lake?

Nope. Every now and then, one of these would land at the airport when it had been leased out by someone for civil use (usually a relief organization or what not). Happened to working the ramp for one of the airlines at the time, so we would cruise as close as possible and check it out.