Iranian's New Sub

Started by TheCommandTent, November 30, 2012, 10:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteIt looks like the Iranian Navy really wanted people to see its new submarine. In a live broadcast on state TV on Wednesday, the Islamic Republic showed off a new Sina 7 submarine that is painted in an unusually bright turquoise blue hue.

So, why exactly would any military want to design its ship in a color that can be easily spotted ? The Daily Mail speculates that the ship's designers mistakenly chose the color, believing it would help the craft blend in with the ocean's waters.

Launched from Bandar Abbas, near the Strait of Hormuz, the Sina 7 and two Ghadir-class submarines represent the first wave of the country's "indigenously built" warships, Iran said.

"Since the beginning of the Islamic Revolution, we have learned not to ask for help from other countries and stand on our own feet in meeting our demands," Iranian Navy commander Habibollah Sayyari said during the broadcast.

"Thanks to the Islamic Revolution, Iran has acquired the know-how to build submarines. No one believed that we would reach a point where we would build destroyers capable of carrying helicopters and missiles in the Sea of Oman and oceans ... because it's a very difficult task to build destroyers and submarines."

The Sina 7 is reportedly capable of firing anti-ship missiles, which the Iranian government says is a centerpiece of its new defense strategy.

Two repaired hovercraft vehicles were also showcased during the broadcast.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/iran-unveils-unusually-colored-blue-submarine-211724188.html

Follow the link for some pictures.  I imagine our boys in the navy just laughing at these jokers.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Aww... It's just a li'l feller. He don't wanna hurt nobody.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Is it just a mock-up for a real one? ;D
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

eyebiter

Looking at this video @ 0:15 guessing the blue above the waterline is radar absorbing material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRo-8Kz4WvU

Staggerwing

Quote from: eyebiter on December 01, 2012, 08:02:21 AM
Looking at this video @ 0:15 guessing the blue above the waterline is radar absorbing material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRo-8Kz4WvU

Actually, blue is is the traditional color for male babies in most of the world...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Steelgrave

Is that a leftover from what the Japanese used against Pearl Harbor? Man, I wouldn't drive a car that color, much less a *snicker* warship. The U.S. Navy is gonna play with that baby like a killer whale with a seal.

LongBlade

Bets on whether it has a screen door?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

colour blindness has to be a big issue with persian males.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Could the color possibly be attributed to them thinking a shallowly submerged ship might be more difficult to spot from the air?

This sub looks like it would give the technology of 1943 a run for its money. Maybe the Iranian admiral who came up with it is figuring that paint scheme will make it more difficult to spot by our Catalinas.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on December 02, 2012, 11:10:14 AM
Could the color possibly be attributed to them thinking a shallowly submerged ship might be more difficult to spot from the air?

This sub looks like it would give the technology of 1943 a run for its money. Maybe the Iranian admiral who came up with it is figuring that paint scheme will make it more difficult to spot by our Catalinas.

Maybe, but if a loitering K-class USN Blimp catches sight of that sub it will be dead meat for a Hunter/killer team.

eyebiter

With only 2x torpedoes each,  these 20+ mini subs could do some damage if Iran decides to start attacking lumbering tankers in the Persian Gulf.

Martok

Sheesh.  I've seen rowboats that were bigger! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

All I can wonder is what an Iranian submarine might smell like inside.  Unpleasant would be a given, but the degree of the horror can only imagined.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Windigo

The Persian gulf has an average depth of only about 35 m with only a few spots deeper than 100m. Just how big a boat do you guys think should go in there?  Just maybe that ugly gaypride boat is an appropriate colour.... just thinking outloud
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Supposedly there are 21 one of those little bastards in service and they can fire supercavitating torpedoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghadir_class_submarine
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus