Ode to the Carbine

Started by LongBlade, December 09, 2012, 05:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

Nice site.  Bullets, boobies and royalty gossip all together.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

We're a full service operation
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

There have been several other pistol caliber carbines not in the article that share the same magazine as a handgun.  Colt 1911 & Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP, Smith & Wesson double stack 9mm & the Camp 9, Beretta 92 & the Cx4 Storm,  Ruger P handguns & the police carbine PC9 or PC4.

Or if you want to go revolver/lever action in the same caliber there are many options to choose.

Staggerwing

What do you guys think of the Hi Point carbine mentioned in the article? Sounds like it would be cheap to shoot, compared to something chambered for rifle rounds. Any similar low cost weapons to recommend? Also, how does the Benelli MR1 Tactical Rifle compare to lower cost ARs?

(EDIT: I see Eyebiter has already mentioned a few.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

This review didn't think much of that MR1.  2" groups @ 50 yards, 5rd magazine, $1300 price.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/bryan-hyde/gun-review-benelli-mr1-tactical-rifle/

Don't have much experience with that HP carbine.  Think they use Glock mags.  Cheap enough, could always sell it if you didn't like it.

If you don't have a Ruger 10/22 yet, that should be your next purchase.  Around Xmas they have a package deal (Rifle & Scope combo) at many American sporting goods stores.  Then buy two large bulk boxes of cheap .22lr ammo.  Should be around $300 out the door.