Panetta Opens Thousands of Combat Positions to Women

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2013, 03:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

donkey_roxor

"The U.S. military is ending its policy of excluding women from combat and will open combat jobs and direct combat units to female troops, CNN has learned. Multiple officials confirm to CNN that Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will make the announcement tomorrow and notify Congress of the planned change in policy."

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/military-to-open-combat-jobs-to-women/

Next step: Congress amends Selective Service law to require women to register?

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

TheCommandTent

I have strong personal feelings on the issue that I won't air here but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Thanks for the heads up Brant.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

MetalDog

Just saw this over at MSN.  My very first thought was, how long will it be before someone proves this is a bad idea?  Let me make clear that I have not ever served in the armed forces, so I have exactly zero idea or experience in what could possibly happen with men and women serving side by each in harms way.  Having said that, and maybe this is just my innate maleness, but, how can you concentrate with a woman next to you? 

Sure, you could forget for a time that she is a woman, but, at some point, the fact will come home to you that there is a woman in a firefight right next to you.  Or in a foxhole.  Or a confined space.  And at some point, the things that mark the male/female dynamic will be explored.  What if she gets hurt?  Will that trigger your macho protection response?  Or what if you get hurt?  Will she be able to carry me out?  Or you've been in the field, away from your wife for months and Cpl. Jones has been hinting around that a hookup isn't out of the question?  Am I missing something here?

For those who have served, I thank you for your service and forgive me if I am being obtuse or disrespectful.  I just don't get where this is a good idea.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

I'm wondering what the Vegas odds are on some of this being rolled back.

LongBlade

So what do we call this new program?

Infantry with benefits?

LongBlade

We've now got three threads on this. I'm going to splice them into a single one.

GDS_Starfury

so we'll have subs full of women seamen.

paging Bob... Bob to the thread please.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

MetalDog

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 08:50:48 PM

I'm not bob, but I'll give it a shot

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 08:50:48 PM

That'd be a sticky situation, wouldn't it?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

LongBlade

I can see this thread is going to be milked for all it's worth.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers