RPG Play by Blog game?

Started by Double Deuce, January 29, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Ok, I know Dan (TheCommandTent) is involved in one of these but until then I have never heard of anyone trying a play by post game that way. Has anyone else done this? If so how well did it work?

I thought about checking it out to see if the format is more organized than the usual run-on 50 page forums threads that can take hours to scroll through and keep up with, although I suppose a blog would have a similar multi-page posting issue as well.

Arctic Blast

It actually could work well, but I'd suggest that maybe more of a combo might work the best. Have the game play discussions in a forum thread, or via a Google Doc or something else online, then put the actual game play stuff on a blog. Otherwise your comments section is going to be a massive discussion of what to do next.

TheCommandTent

Here is the link to the game that DD mentioned I am involved in.

http://westkingdom.blogspot.com/

This coming Feb. will mark the game going strong for one year.  Being a play by blog it is at a slow pace but we usually get pretty good turn around after everyone gives their actions. Our GM is doing fantastic job handling everything and moving the game along. 

One of the nice things about keeping track on the blog is that our GM has tagged all the posts with keywords about events, places, people etc.  That way if we need to reference something we can easily navigate to it using the index of keywords to the right of the blog.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

On a side note, I need to get back into my Obsidian Portal account and see what features may have been added/supported in any of the recent upgrades. I have logged in a few times for a minute here and there so make sure the account is still active and I remembered the password. I do know that they have some awesome characters sheet templates just not for the systems I prefer but overall I haven't dug too deep into it lately.  :'(

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 29, 2013, 03:30:57 PM

This coming Feb. will mark the game going strong for one year.  Being a play by blog it is at a slow pace but we usually get pretty good turn around after everyone gives their actions. Our GM is doing fantastic job handling everything and moving the game along. 

One of the nice things about keeping track on the blog is that our GM has tagged all the posts with keywords about events, places, people etc.  That way if we need to reference something we can easily navigate to it using the index of keywords to the right of the blog.

Very cool, Tent.

Do you guys discuss plans and such in another place, or is this more of a long time group that doesn't need to do any of that and knows what everyone's moves will be ahead of time?  ;D

Double Deuce

That might work but I think it would require a lot of extra organizational work by the GM to develop a good tag system so information is easily searched. I can see some advantages to that format where you dould find information quicker than in forum threads although some forum software makes use of tags too. I'll definitely have to check into this further and maybe try a short test game.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 30, 2013, 01:50:22 AM

Very cool, Tent.

Do you guys discuss plans and such in another place, or is this more of a long time group that doesn't need to do any of that and knows what everyone's moves will be ahead of time?  ;D

None of us have ever played together before.  We discuss everything in the comments section as needed.  The GM allows and encourages us to take time to discuss our options or plans when appropriate.  However, we have gotten good at taking hints from each other and acting accordingly.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 30, 2013, 08:38:19 AMNone of us have ever played together before.  We discuss everything in the comments section as needed.  The GM allows and encourages us to take time to discuss our options or plans when appropriate.  However, we have gotten good at taking hints from each other and acting accordingly.

Since its been running about a year there should be a good amount of posts. How easy has it been to go back and find stuff from early on in the game?

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on January 30, 2013, 09:57:25 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 30, 2013, 08:38:19 AMNone of us have ever played together before.  We discuss everything in the comments section as needed.  The GM allows and encourages us to take time to discuss our options or plans when appropriate.  However, we have gotten good at taking hints from each other and acting accordingly.

Since its been running about a year there should be a good amount of posts. How easy has it been to go back and find stuff from early on in the game?

Fairly easy.  Like I said all the post are tagged by the GM with key words that we can use to reference.  Also there is an archive that shows the posts grouped by months that you go through to find a post title you want.

Double Deuce

I see you guys are using Swords and Wizardry (very similar to OSRIC) and freely available for download. Have you, as a player, had much reason to refer to the rules or does the GM pretty much handle everything beyond the initial character creation stuff so that you really have no need to access them?

I want to try running another HarnMaster game (play by post, not Pbem this time) but most players would not have access to the rules which can scare off potential players. I think I can structure it in a way that access to those materials wouldn't been needed but would like to hear your feedback on if access to the rules is that big a deal or not.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on February 03, 2013, 05:07:15 PM

I see you guys are using Swords and Wizardry (very similar to OSRIC) and freely available for download. Have you, as a player, had much reason to refer to the rules or does the GM pretty much handle everything beyond the initial character creation stuff so that you really have no need to access them?

I want to try running another HarnMaster game (play by post, not Pbem this time) but most players would not have access to the rules which can scare off potential players. I think I can structure it in a way that access to those materials wouldn't been needed but would like to hear your feedback on if access to the rules is that big a deal or not.

We were all sent copy of the rules, including the house rules that GM would be using.  Beyond the character creation we have not had to access them as the GM handles everything behind the scenes.  Our GM is very good about showing us the die results during combat in a small OOC section at the end of relevant posts.