Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

^ Starfighters?

I used to draw those all the time when I was in elementary school. No idea why I was so fascinated with that particular plane.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 16, 2014, 12:52:16 PM
^ Starfighters?

I used to draw those all the time when I was in elementary school. No idea why I was so fascinated with that particular plane.

Because it was awesome. A rocket with wings!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 16, 2014, 02:49:39 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 16, 2014, 12:52:16 PM
^ Starfighters?

Because it was awesome. A rocket with wings!

Pretty apt description- It was also know as a Widow Maker due to high landing speed and teeny-tiny wings. Both the KLu and Luftwaffe lost a number of Starfighters and also pilots to the plane's unforgiving flight envelope.

EDIT: Also, IIRC, the Starfighter is the only true supersonic production aircraft that did not have swept wings.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

it didnt have swept back wings but the leading edge was swept.  ;)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

That was pretty much the case with every jet built since the dawn of the jet age- none of them had a leading edge perpendicular to their fuselage centerline axis. The Starfighter's wing is a trapezoid.

EDIT: The U2 comes close though...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

Syrian MiG. Slightly used...

GDS_Starfury

thats how I like to see Migs.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

when you see it.  ;D

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 18, 2014, 11:29:54 AM
when you see it.  ;D

If it's not a 'shopped BSG homage then I'm guessing the closest F4 has a 'guest' pilot.

GDS_Starfury

Staggerwing

Is there more to the story? They would have to have repainted the entire aircraft darker grey and those markings are pretty sharp for a quicky gag-picture. Did the US phantom actually operate off the RN CV for a while?

GDS_Starfury

its the same thing as the pictures of the Rafales operating of the Truman.  arresting and launch kit is common across NATO/France aircraft.  the Brits probably just repainted the Colonial bit while in the second photo the Marines added the tail markings.

Staggerwing

Actually, on closer examination, the phantoms in the two pictures are different airframes. The RN types in the 1st pic have the modified vertical stabilizers with upgraded RWR unit and the Marine example on the flight deck (as well as the RN examples in the back) have the US standard fin. the 1st picture must have been taken much later after the change to the Marconi RWR. US and RAF Phantoms were never fitted with them, just the RN types.