Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

70 years of the Normandie-Niemen, a French Air Force squadron that fought alongside the Soviets in WWII

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 12:05:37 PM

What's the "square" bits on two of the birds wing/fuselage joint area?

mirth

Conformal fuel tanks.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I know a thing or two.

GDS_Starfury

Bart, those are Israeli designed conformal fuel tanks / equipment pods.
same idea as the F-15s but different location.

there are F-18 versions in testing:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Barthheart

Thanks guys.

Doesn't that add an "explosive" vulnerability to the top of yer plane though? And you can't drop them when empty.... are they mostly fro long haul restaging?

mirth

Are Israelis using them for anything other than fuel? We stopped calling them FAST (Fuel and Sensor Tanks) packs I believe because they were only used for extra fuel.

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on May 02, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Doesn't that add an "explosive" vulnerability to the top of yer plane though? And you can't drop them when empty.... are they mostly fro long haul restaging?

I imagine the Israelis use them operationally for long range strike missions. Handy to have when you don't have a ton of tanker assets.

GDS_Starfury

I know the IAF likes jamming more ECM and flares into theirs. 
as for damage...  IMHO if youre taking any hits youre probably fucked any way ya slice it.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 01:10:36 PM
IMHO if youre taking any hits youre probably fucked any way ya slice it.

That's the truth.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on May 02, 2014, 01:11:26 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 01:10:36 PM
IMHO if youre taking any hits youre probably fucked any way ya slice it.

That's the truth.

True enough.... thanks again ... I have learned something new today. I think I'll call it and go fer beer.

Capn Darwin

The big trick is not screwing up your wave drag for supersonic flight with those tanks. I'm betting a lot of simulation time has been invested in getting the shapes right.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 11:52:54 AM
its a VERY good thing they didnt get that into squadron service.

RAF testpilot-extrodinaire Eric Brown flew the He-162 and thought it was quite a formidable fighter. It's main problems were very limited range and lots of production defects. Considering who had to built those things I'm sure a number of those defects were intentional.

Also, rumor has it that it did get into service at the very end of things and scored at least one kill.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys