Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteF2H-2 Banshee of Fighter Squadron 12 (VF-12), "Flying Ubangis," part of Air Group 1 (CVG-1), early 1950s

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

landing in a jet, on a carrier with the cockpit open....   :idiot2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Ejection mechanisms were still a little squirrelly back then. Maybe the pilot figured he would eliminate one variable by not having to punch through the canopy if it didn't blow off.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Here's a PDF with specs for the Banshee. Bottom of page 4 lists the landing stall speed at 86-91kts.

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f2h-2.pdf
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Someone on Reddit thought that the early jet pilots did the open canopy landings to improve visibility in the days before optical landing systems.

bob48

Plus its so much easier to get rid of cigarette ends and sandwich wrappers............
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

And the whiskey bottle.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

^Great vid! Love the Thud. Thing was a beast!

GDS_Starfury

the end was nice.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on June 06, 2014, 01:01:30 PM
^Great vid! Love the Thud. Thing was a beast!

IIRC, it was originally designed to deliver a nuclear payload while fighting it's way to the target, if needed.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

At mach no less.  Truly one of the greats.

mirth

Eurofighter Typhoon in D-Day stripes

GDS_Starfury

mirth

Love that early GPS receiver. Only 12lbs! :P