Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Barthheart

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on December 10, 2014, 12:34:40 PM
High bank refueling of B-52s, done as a training maneuver:

QuoteDuring Instructor training, pilots were shown the full envelope of the aircraft including what was not in the manual and what could be accomplished. In this particular maneuver, the aircraft would perform refueling and accomplish a whifferdill in formation

To perform a whifferdill (because Wikipedia's description is pitiful) basically, you pull up to vertical while in level flight and as airspeed bleeds off, you kick in a little rudder, and your nose drops to that side; it should be noted that . As you approach the top of the maneuver, your vertical velocity drops off and the nose drops to the side of you put in rudder with that side's wing pointing at the ground. From the point you go vertical, the wings are not producing lift and you are being held in the air by momentum. The rudder movement redirects that momentum into an arc that allows the airplane to fall ballistically until airspeed picks up and the control surfaces are fully effective. The airplane then pulls up from a nose-low dive going 180 degrees from the starting heading and with the same energy/airspeed as before (an energy neutral maneuver)

Since, at the top, they are falling ballistically at the same rate (weight and lift are not a factor), it's relatively easy to stay in formation and continue refueling without spoilers. I think the flaw in your logic is assuming they are doing this in a level turn (which they aren't).

Again, this was a demonstration maneuver to show student instructor pilots on the KC-135 and B-52 the full limitations of their respective airframes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_talk:USAF_B-52_refueling_with_a_KC-135.jpg

WOW! That's a crazy way to throw those big gals around AND refuel!  :o

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Barthheart

More cool R/C stuff......

bob48

Sorry, this should have been in the Tanks thread I guess.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

^No one noticed :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

A10 lands on the A29 autobahn during NATO exercise "Highway 84"

Barthheart

That's cool footage.... should send it to Putin just to remind him of what he's up against....

Steelgrave

Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2014, 04:14:42 PM
That's cool footage.... should send it to Putin just to remind him of what he's up against....

He'll send back a picture of him riding a tiger....shirtless   :crazy2:

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Airborne Rifles

That paint job is...oddly soothing.

mirth

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on December 17, 2014, 07:52:15 AM

"Thanks for the lift pal!"

"No problemo. Now, go get some for me too. O0"
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys