Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

^In Warthunder that plane is a tough one to fly but she can defend herself fairly well with those bubble turrets.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quotetreason

Eh? ??? Am I missing an inside joke? Did some Air Force bling-shirt say that saving the A-10 would be 'treasonous'?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 03, 2015, 08:03:21 AM
Quotetreason

Eh? ??? Am I missing an inside joke? Did some Air Force bling-shirt say that saving the A-10 would be 'treasonous'?

http://www.stripes.com/news/general-s-a-10-treason-comment-sparks-concerns-over-protected-speech-1.325471
QuoteMaj. Gen. James Post raised eyebrows this month when he warned fellow airmen in Nevada that talking to Congress about the embattled A-10 Thunderbolt could qualify as treason.
"If anyone accuses me of saying this, I will deny it ... anyone who is passing information to Congress about A-10 capabilities is committing treason," Post told an audience of officers at Nellis Air Force Base according to the military blog John Q. Public.
The Air Force has brushed off the statement as hyperbole but confirmed Friday the inspector general has opened an investigation. The two-star general's warning comes at a delicate time for the Warthog — the service is facing an internal backlash from airmen who want to keep the close-air-support aircraft and another uphill budget battle with Congress over the retirement. The blog said it corroborated the quote through senior officials and several other sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Experts said the statement was meant to quash disagreement within the Air Force over phasing out the A-10 and push the plans by leadership. Whether Post's method was inappropriate or trampled the rights of servicemembers depends on your point of view.
"Just to the lay person who has never been in the military, it would seem to have a chilling effect" on protected speech among troops, said Larry Youngner, who served as an Air Force judge advocate for 20 years and is now a managing partner in the Virginia law firm Tully Rinckey. "Most of the A-10 pilots I've known in the past would take it as a challenge ... They are so proud of the accomplishments of the A-10 they would take it as an opportunity. It would embolden them to contact Congress."
Post is the vice commander of the Air Combat Command, which oversees A-10 air wings and close-air-support units. Federal and military law gives all servicemembers the right to communicate with congressional representatives through official and private channels, though they are not to use their service or rank to endorse partisan political causes or campaigns.
"I love that platform. That said, if I'm for it or against it, I have the unfettered right to contact Sen. Lindsey Graham in South Carolina and tell him about my support of that aircraft," Youngner said.

http://www.stripes.com/news/after-treason-comment-senator-asks-af-chief-about-reverse-probe-1.326342
QuoteAir Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh faced tough questioning Wednesday in the Senate over whether the service is investigating airmen who have spoken to Congress about the planned retirement of the A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft.

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., said she was told about the internal probes after the two-star vice commander of the Air Force Air Combat Command caused a minor scandal and prompted an ongoing inspector general investigation by warning airmen that discussing the aircraft's capabilities with lawmakers could amount to "treason."

The service is trying to retire the close-air-support aircraft — known for its 30 mm Gatling-type cannon — to save money, but has run into resistance from troops and members of Congress who believe the so-called Warthogs are still highly valuable on the battlefield. Maj. Gen. James Post's comments and the report of internal investigations come as the White House prepares to release the proposed defense budget and likely opens another year of wrangling between the Air Force and Congress over the aircraft's retirement.

"What I'm hearing is there is actually an investigation going on in reverse — to find out who has communicated with Congress — and to me that seems the opposite of what we would be trying to accomplish in looking at what Gen. Post said, and whether it was lawful or not," Ayotte said during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing. "So, I hope there will be no punishment or any kind of pursuit of people trying to communicate with Congress."

Welsh, who had been called to testify on budget caps, denied any involvement or knowledge of the probes.

"I know of nothing along those lines at all. I would be astonished by it," Welsh said. "Certainly I am not part of it; the secretary is not part of it; and I would not condone it."

Federal and military law gives all troops the right to communicate with congressional lawmakers through official and private channels, though they are not to use their service or rank to endorse partisan political causes or campaigns.

"I completely commit to the lawfulness of communication with Congress," Welsh said. "I support any airman's right to discuss anything that you'd like to discuss with them, and for them to give you their honest opinion."
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Meet the Douglases

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

gotta love the Skyhawk.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

the basic A:

A-4AR:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

One of  the most brilliant aircraft designs ever.

mirth

And still operational after 60 years.

Staggerwing

"Heinemann's Hot-Rod"

mirth

Staggerwing

GDS_Starfury

the things man can achieve when hes single....