Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I have it on DVD. It's wonderfully stupid.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

1941 is a fantastic movie. It saddens me when I find people have not heard of it.

mirth

It's very under rated. It gets a little more love today than it did when it was originally released

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-1941-spielberg-20150319-story.html

I must have watched it a dozen times or more when I was a kid. It was a Movie Channel staple.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Capn Darwin

1941 is a classic. Seen it way too many times and will see it more I'm sure.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

A-6E Intruder of Attack Squadron (VA) 52 on final approach for recovery on the snow-covered flight deck of USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) operating in the Bering Sea,  Jan. 21, 1987.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/01/25/a6-landing-carrier-snow/

QuoteThis is a picture of me and my B/N landing on the USS Carl Vinson in 1987 in the Bering Sea.

We were launched early in the morning to do a weather recon. They shot
us off the pointy end with more airframe icing than I had ever seen
on an aircraft. During our preflight, I called the Air Boss to discuss
this with him and his answer was, "We will just give you a few extra
knots of end speed, man up your aircraft." I anticipated that we would be very close to stall AOA when they shot us (the needle initially pegged) so I was prepared to
nurse it until we slowly accelerated and started our ascent.

We pickup up a considerable amount of icing during our climb-out. The tops were above
20,000 feet if I recall correctly. We stayed above the clouds for close
to an hour while the ice sublimated from the airframe. We then did a
high speed penetration with the speedbrakes fully extended to descend
below the icing as quickly as possible to a Case 3 recovery.

I can remember breaking out of the clouds and not seeing anything other than a
completely white flight deck. You could not see a defined landing
area. The only guidance for lineup was the faint strobe of the
centerline lighting sparkling through the ice on the flight deck. We
recovered on our first pass and flight ops were ceased for the remainder
of the day. I'm not certain but I think this might have been the only
time on our 1986 Cruise that our Airwing had one event on the flight schedule
for the day.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteA Leoning OL-8 flies over USS Lexington (CV-2), Dec. 1928. The two-star fuselage placard and wing-strut pennant signify that this plane is the command aircraft of RADM Joseph M. Reeves. Location unknown.

Centurion40

Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 07, 2015, 03:09:08 PM
1941 is a classic. Seen it way too many times and will see it more I'm sure.  O0

Fave Spielberg pic of all time!!  O0

Any time is a good time for pie.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on September 08, 2015, 11:25:21 AM
QuoteA Leoning OL-8 flies over USS Lexington (CV-2), Dec. 1928. The two-star fuselage placard and wing-strut pennant signify that this plane is the command aircraft of RADM Joseph M. Reeves. Location unknown.

Interesting rigging on the top wing. Looks like some kind of radio antenna array.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

I think it is. It's a special setup as a command plane.

mirth

QuoteHandley Page Halifax B Mark III Series 1As of No. 1663 Heavy Conversion Unit undergo maintenance at night in a T2 Type hangar at Rufforth, Yorkshire, c1943.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

QuoteMitsubishi XF-2A test aircraft carrying experimental XASM-3 anti-ship missiles and other weapons.

mirth

The Horten H.IX, RLM designation Ho 229, German prototype fighter/bomber designed by Reimar and Walter Horten and built by Gothaer Waggonfabrik late in the war. Pictured is Ho229 V3, the third prototype that was unfinished. It is being restored at the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.

Full gallery here:

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19600324000

Staggerwing

^There was a great NOVA episode (or maybe it was NatGeo?) about the serendipitous stealth capabilities of the 229. A bunch of engineers who specialize in building radar cross-section models built a full size mockup of the Horton jet with internal components designed to simulate the metal in the engines.  While it was no F-117 the tests showed that it would have a notable detection range advantage against Britain's Chain Home system.

IIRC, the ep was titled something like 'Hitler's Stealth Fighter'.