Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteXB-70 Valkyrie being backed into its new home on October 27, 2015

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/PressRoom/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/466/Article/626004/xb-70-valkyrie-moved-into-museums-new-fourth-building.aspx

Planned layout for new hangar at the National Museum of the USAF

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteFlight of Brewster F2A Buffalo's in Finnish service, The Continuation War (1941-'44)

QuoteDuring the Continuation War (1941-'44) Finnish Brewster pilots shot down 484 aircrafts with own losses of 24. The top-scoring Buffalo pilot was Hans Wind, with 39 of his 75 kills with a Buffalo. The top scoring Finnish ace, Ilmari Juutilainen, scored 34 of his 94½ confirmed kills in a F2As.

During the Winter War in December, 1939, Finns signed a contract for the provision of 44 Model 239 Brewster fighters. The total price to be paid was US $3.4 million, and the deal included the provision of spare parts, 10 replacement engines and 20 Hamilton Standard propellers. The Buffalo fighters that were sent to Finland were de-navalized; before these fighters were placed onto ships for delivery to Finland, Brewster Company employees removed all the naval equipment on the fighters, such as their tailhooks and life-raft containers, resulting in a somewhat lighter aircraft. The Finnish F2A-1s further lacked self-sealing fuel tanks and cockpit armor.

These F2A-1 Buffalos given the export number Model B-239, were equipped with an export-approved Wright R-1820-G5 nine-cylinder radial engine of 950 hp (708 kW). After delivery to Finland, the Finnish Air Force added armored backrests for their pilots, metric flight instruments, the Finnish Väisälä T.h.m.40 gunsight, and four .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns. The top speed of the Finnish Buffalos, as modified, was 297 mph (478 km/h) at 15,675 ft (4,750 m), and their loaded weight was 5,820 lb (2,640 kg).

Built in four batches, the "Finnish" Brewster were loaded to merchant ships in New York and shipped to Norway in January-February 1940. The crates with the fighters were sent by railway to Sweden and assembled by SAAB, near Gothenburg. But as the Winter War ended, only five Brewsters were combat-ready in Finland.

The Brewster B-239E fighter aircraft was never referred to as the "Buffalo" in Finland; it was known simply as the "Brewster" or sometimes by the nicknames "Pearl of the Sky", "Butt-Walter", "American hardware" and "flying beer bottle". The 44 Buffalo Model B-239(export) fighters used by the FAF received serial numbers BW-351 to BW-394.

In Finnish Air Force service, the B-239s were regarded as being very easy to fly, a "gentleman's plane". The Buffalo was also popular within the FAF because of their relatively long range and flight endurance, and also because of their low-trouble maintenance record. This was in part due to the efforts of the Finnish engine mechanics, who solved a problem that plagued the Wright Cyclone engine simply by inverting one of the piston rings in each cylinder. This had a positive effect on engine reliability. The cooler weather of Finland was also a plus for the engine. In the end, the Brewster Buffalo gained a reputation in Finnish Air Force service as one of their most successful fighter aircraft.

Attacking Soviet Air Force pilots using formulaic defensive tactics, many Finnish pilots racked up enormous scores on the Finnish front. The default tactic was the four-plane "swarm" with a pair flying low (but visible, not too close to the terrain) as the bait and a pair flying high to dive on the eventual interceptors. In the long run, the Soviet Air Force on the Finnish front never developed an efficient approach to counter this tactic.

After end of hostilities, cpt. Jorma Karhunen, one of the top-scoring Buffalo pilots(25½ kills out of his 31½ total) and commander of the 3rd flight of LeLv 24, recalled:

"The Brewster model 239 was good against the older Russian fighters, I-153 and I-16. Hence the period 1941–42 was the best time for us. In 1943 it was already significantly more difficult when the Russians began to use their newer fighters against us... Later, with the Yaks, Hurricanes, Tomahawks and MiGs, it became a fight to the death."

By late 1943, the lack of spare parts, aircraft wear-and-tear, and the improvement of Soviet fighters greatly reduced the effectiveness of the Finnish Buffalo. Brewster pilots still scored some 35 victories against Soviet aircraft in mid-1944. The last kills of Finnish Airforce were made with couple of B-239s, when they shot down two Ju 87s in Lapland War.

The remaining Brewster Buffalos served until september of 1948, when the type saw it's last flight. They were all scrapped in 1953. Only remaining authentic B-239 today is the one that Lauri Pekuri crash landed to a Karelian lake in 1942, and was lifted from there in 1998.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteThe Red Arrows flying with the Vulcan bomber for the final time.

mirth

4 members of the Century Series. Clockwise from top:

McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
    Convair F-102 Delta Dagger
    North American F-100 Super Sabre
    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on November 08, 2015, 11:44:09 AM
QuoteFlight of Brewster F2A Buffalo's in Finnish service, The Continuation War (1941-'44)

The ML-KNIL used Buffalos in the Dutch East Indies as well.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

mirth

QuoteA-6 Intruder VA-34 over USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), 1982.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The XB-40.  This was a B-17 that was modified to be a heavily armed and armoured gunship that would fly with bomber formations and provide enhanced defensive firepower.  It was brought into service just prior to the P-51s.  59 sorties saw 5 kills and 2 probables for a single loss.  The main problem was that it was unable to keep up with the bombers once they had dropped their bombs due to its greater weight.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 03, 2015, 06:02:20 PM
The XB-40.  This was a B-17 that was modified to be a heavily armed and armoured gunship that would fly with bomber formations and provide enhanced defensive firepower.  It was brought into service just prior to the P-51s.  59 sorties saw 5 kills and 2 probables for a single loss.  The main problem was that it was unable to keep up with the bombers once they had dropped their bombs due to its greater weight.

IIRC, the chin turret on the B-17G was originally designed for the X/YB-40 and a number of other gunner-friendly improvements were ported over as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

Not necessarily new "news," but some interesting specifics here on where the Air Force is going with laser weapons. And the video demonstration of a laser cutting through a thick metal plate..impressive: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/us-air-force-laser-fighter-jet-weapons-research/index.html

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

eyebiter

mirth