Alternatives to the Supercarrier

Started by mirth, March 22, 2013, 08:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Except that we've cranked out a shitload of Burkes. The most successful class of destroyer in history. Those ships absolutely rock. It was very smart of the Navy to reopen the line.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Longdan

For some reason I have just loved Arleigh Burke since the first Harpoon
digni enim sunt interdicunt

mirth

Quote from: Longdan on March 23, 2013, 04:44:52 PM
For some reason I have just loved Arleigh Burke since the first Harpoon

You mean the 360 Pacific Harpoon? I played the hell out of that buggy bitch.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Longdan

Oh yeah.  I went nuts over that.  I could play it at work on night shift on the bosses' computer.
The operational computers couldn't handle it but the admin machine could.  Who could believe nowadays that such incredible excitement could take
so freakin' long and crash so much!?

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on March 23, 2013, 04:40:37 PM
Except that we've cranked out a shitload of Burkes. The most successful class of destroyer in history. Those ships absolutely rock. It was very smart of the Navy to reopen the line.

63 so far.  thats a lot of naval firepower with an AGEIS system.  at over 9000 tons Im sure someone decided to use the term Destroyer just to get the funding past Congress  (theyre not that smart you know).  the ships are crusiers to me and they weigh the same as Tico's.

crafty squids.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

IIRC we also ordered two more of each Littoral Combat Ship.  I would think that in a SHTF fight with something like the PLAN they would get grouped with carrier groups and take the picket missions that FFG-7s used to do.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: Longdan on March 23, 2013, 04:58:32 PM
Oh yeah.  I went nuts over that.  I could play it at work on night shift on the bosses' computer.
The operational computers couldn't handle it but the admin machine could.  Who could believe nowadays that such incredible excitement could take
so freakin' long and crash so much!?

I played it in my girlfriend's Mac back in the day. I would spend hours getting into position to launch an Alpha Strike on the Soviets only to have the game crash as my planes were in the air.

Longdan

mirth

Absolutely. No matter how many times the thing crashed, I went right back to it!

Longdan

The first time my little Norwegian missile boats launched their penguins I almost splortzed.

mirth

I remember that too. What was that scenario? Dawn Patrol maybe? Couple of Norwegian missile boats against a couple of Soviet Osas.

Staggerwing

Yep.

QuoteDAWN PATROL, SMALL MISSILE BOAT ENGAGEMENT

1.1 Background: The coast of Norway is made up of fjords and islands with high, rocky coasts. This is a perfect place for small surface craft to operate because the rock walls make them hard to spot on radar, and the short detection ranges make their smaller SSMs more useful than in open ocean. Additionally, there are so many fjords and other places to hide such that no navy can afford enough large craft to do the job.

1.2 Red Orders: You are the commander of a squadron of light Soviet missile frigates. You have left your home port and are cruising south along the coast. Attack any and all enemy surface crafts encountered.

1.3 Intelligence Brief: The Norwegian Navy, backed by NATO forces,
is struggling to retain control of the Norwegian sea. If Soviet forces can gain sea control they can seize vital bases along the coast.
These shorten the distances for Soviet ships and aircraft attacking NATO targets in the Atlantic, and allow attacks on NATO units that try to reach Soviet targets.

1.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Destroy at least one NATO vessel, frigate or larger, and severely damage two other NATO vessels.

NATO

1.1 Background: The coast of Norway is made up of fjords and islands with high, rocky coasts. This is a perfect place for small surface craft to operate because the rock walls make them hard to spot on radar, and the short detection ranges make their smaller SSMs more useful than in open ocean. Additionally, there are so many fjords and other places to hide such that no navy can afford enough large craft to do the job.

1.2 Blue Orders: You are the commander of two squadrons of Norwegian warships. Coastal spotters have reported some large Soviet missile craft moving into your sector. Spread out and move north from your present position, searching along the coastline. Maintain an average speed of 10 knots in order to cover your area in a timely manner.

1.3 Intelligence Brief: The Soviet forces are struggling to control the Norwegian Sea and the coastline. This means finding and destroying Norwegian and other NATO surface units. Once those forces have been diminished, amphibious landings will be made on the coast. These shorten the distances for Soviet ships and aircraft attacking NATO targets in the Atlantic and allow attacks on NATO units that try to reach Soviet targets.

1.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Disable or destroy at least two Soviet ships.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Mentioning the Osa/Komars brought back a memory.
In 1973, before the Yom Kippur war, there was going to be a missile test outside of the Syrian port, Latakia.
Somehow we picked up on it.  USS Vreeland quickly was loaded with an intel van on the fantail and sped over to record the event.
Vreeland had no sooner gotten off the coast, in International waters when four Osa parked themselves on her quarters and ordered the ship to leave the area.
Apparently, this had been covered in the captain's orders, and she moved out another ten miles out to sea before the missile fire.
Was not there and cannot recall any more details.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 24, 2013, 01:22:38 PM
Yep.

QuoteDAWN PATROL, SMALL MISSILE BOAT ENGAGEMENT

1.2 Red Orders: You are the commander of a squadron of light Soviet missile frigates. You have left your home port and are cruising south along the coast. Attack any and all enemy surface crafts encountered.

1.3 Intelligence Brief: The Norwegian Navy, backed by NATO forces,
is struggling to retain control of the Norwegian sea. If Soviet forces can gain sea control they can seize vital bases along the coast.
These shorten the distances for Soviet ships and aircraft attacking NATO targets in the Atlantic, and allow attacks on NATO units that try to reach Soviet targets.

1.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Destroy at least one NATO vessel, frigate or larger, and severely damage two other NATO vessels.

NATO

1.2 Blue Orders: You are the commander of two squadrons of Norwegian warships. Coastal spotters have reported some large Soviet missile craft moving into your sector. Spread out and move north from your present position, searching along the coastline. Maintain an average speed of 10 knots in order to cover your area in a timely manner.

1.3 Intelligence Brief: The Soviet forces are struggling to control the Norwegian Sea and the coastline. This means finding and destroying Norwegian and other NATO surface units. Once those forces have been diminished, amphibious landings will be made on the coast. These shorten the distances for Soviet ships and aircraft attacking NATO targets in the Atlantic and allow attacks on NATO units that try to reach Soviet targets.

1.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Disable or destroy at least two Soviet ships.

Yeah that's a classic gem.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2013, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 23, 2013, 04:40:37 PM

63 so far.  thats a lot of naval firepower with an AGEIS system.  at over 9000 tons Im sure someone decided to use the term Destroyer just to get the funding past Congress  (theyre not that smart you know).  the ships are crusiers to me and they weigh the same as Tico's.

crafty squids.

Yeah they're not destroyers in the normal sense. The Zumwalts are going to be almost 15,000 tons but still classified as a DDG. Guess the Navy is moving away from the cruiser concept.