Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteHMS Victoria passing a swing bridge while en route from Armstrong Shipyard at Elswick, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, circa 1890.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteKing George V-class battleship HMS Duke of York as she leaves drydock at Rosyth.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

Quote from: mirth on December 25, 2016, 06:01:23 PM
QuoteHMS Victoria passing a swing bridge while en route from Armstrong Shipyard at Elswick, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, circa 1890.

Not seen that picture before. I live about 5 miles away from there.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

QuoteDaring-class destroyer HMS Diamond (D35) steaming past "Mayflower II". 1957.

mirth

QuoteWeapon-class destroyer HMS Broadsword (D31) hard over under heavy wheel off the coast of Libya. May 1962.

besilarius

Alabama fitting out in Norfolk Navy Shipyard.
The interesting sidenote is that the crane ship to port is placing the 16" guns into the turrets.
This crane ship is the former battleship Kearsarge.
The Kearsarge sank the Confederate raider Alabama in the Civil War.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteWaiting for an air raid onboard the Canberra. Falklands conflict 1982.

mirth

QuoteAircrew learning how to identify vessels at sea using models on the Tactical Floor in No. 3 School of General Reconnaissance at Squires Gate, Blackpool, Lancashire, April 1944

mirth

QuoteHMS Barham and the destroyers Mons (left) and Medusa, being fitted out at Clydebank, July 1915.

mirth

QuoteRussian Oscar II class submarine

mirth

QuoteHMS Queen Elizabeth preparing for sea trials which are due to begin in the next few months.

besilarius

USS Begor (APD127) during the evacuation and demolition of Hungnam, Korea.  24 December, 1950
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteHauling lifeboats ashore while the RFA Sir Galahad burns in the background. Bluff Cove, Falklands. 1982.

mirth

QuoteUSS Indiana (BB-1) at the Chicago World's Fair 1893

mirth

QuoteUSS Forrestal in the Suez Canal. 1988