U.S. launches drone from aircraft carrier

Started by OJsDad, May 14, 2013, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

OJsDad

It's just been announced that the Navy was successful in landing a drone on a carrier. 

Now the X-47 will be retired as funding has been cut for it.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

Story Number: NNS130710-06Release Date: 7/10/2013 1:45:00 PM
A A A Email this story to a friend Print this story
From Secretary of the Navy Public Affairs

USS GEORGE H. W. BUSH, at sea (NNS) -- The X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator completed its first-ever carrier-based arrested landing on board USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) off the coast of Virginia July 10.

"By evolving and integrating new technology like the X-47B and the unmanned aircraft to follow, carriers will remain relevant throughout their 50-year lifespan," said Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus.

Today's demonstration was the first time a tailless, unmanned autonomous aircraft landed on a modern aircraft carrier.

This test marks an historic event for naval aviation that Navy leaders believe will impact the way the Navy integrates manned and unmanned aircraft on the carrier flight deck in the future.

In May 2013, the X-47B successfully completed underway carrier deck operations aboard USS George H. W. Bush to include a first-ever catapult launch and nine touch-and-gos.

"We have certainly come a long way in the 102 years since Eugene Ely made the first arrested landing aboard an aircraft carrier. Naval aviators have always been at the forefront of operational and tactical innovation, and today was no exception," said Mabus. "People make unmanned aviation possible and it is people who will provide the fresh thinking and new ideas so crucial to successes like the X-47B program and the unmanned aircraft of the future."

The Navy will continue to update this story as more information from today's demonstration is made available.

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

you can launch cows off a carrier, the question is can you land them on the carrier?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

somewhere theres another thread about the landing qualifiations its completed.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

Quote from: Windigo on July 26, 2013, 12:47:32 PM
you can launch cows off a carrier, the question is can you land them on the carrier?

That'd would just be for the milk run. Only the cream of the pilots get to fly that.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Windigo

Quote from: bob48 on July 26, 2013, 01:50:05 PM
Quote from: Windigo on July 26, 2013, 12:47:32 PM

That'd would just be for the milk run. Only the cream of the pilots get to fly that.

you are just starting to milk this aren't you?

bob48

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

bob would be udderly upset without his puns and he shouldnt have to cow-tow about it.

Windigo

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The drone waived itself off on it's third landing test and returned to it's shore base. The Navy is reconsidering it's decision to assign the drone the call sign "Maverick".

http://breakingdefense.com/2013/08/14/adm-winter-x-47-aborted-bush-carrier-landing-not-a-problem/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus