Air Force Needs Pilots

Started by LongBlade, July 23, 2013, 11:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Desperately.

The wage disparity between USAF pilots and the private sector has led to a shortage of over 200 pilots this year.

QuoteFighter pilots were once considered such glamorous gigs that Tom Cruise played one in the hit Hollywood movie, "Top Gun." But now, three decades later, the U.S. Air Force is experiencing such a dire shortage that it's guaranteeing a $225,000 signing bonus -- $25,000 a year for nine years.

Source: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/07/23/air-force-fighter-pilots-signing-bonus/?test=latestnews&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

With the number of drones in service, are these dire predictions of a pilot shortage accurate?  Or as time goes on will more aircraft be unmanned?

Staggerwing

the USAF does more than just fly strike missions. I imagine that they are also hoping to fill slots for Air transport, air-to-air Refueling, etc.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

they had me until I saw "over nine years" .... like that will help!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.