Play by Blog RPG

Started by TheCommandTent, March 13, 2012, 09:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I was recently invited to participate in a play by blog RPG game.  As I don't have anyone living near me to really game with I thought this would be a great opportunity to get into a full on RPG.  We are using the free Swords and Wizardry: White Box rules.

The name of the campaign is 'The West Kingdom' and is hosted on a blog at the following link

'The West Kingdom: A Swords and Wizardry PbB Game'

Make sure to check out the various page links on the right side of the blog for more information on the campaign itself.  Here is a brief description of the campaign from the GM

QuoteThe West Kingdom, ruled by Berenger II, is a vast land, difficult to control. Its isolated towns are bastions of relative peace and order. The King's soldiers patrol the roads as best they can. But the woods, hills, ruins and caves remain untamed. From these regions, the minions of chaos come forth to menace the folk of Berenger's realm. With resources stretched, the King's men are fortunate to simply hold the settlements and byways. Only small companies of roving adventurers press the attack into the dark places where the enemies of the Kingdom abide. Fairbrook is where the story begins for one such band.

My character is a fighter named Duran.  The GM had us all set up a character page on our own blogs to keep track of our stats, experience, loot etc.  Here is the link to my character's page.

Duran's Character sheet

We have only just begun but so far we are investigating the disappearance of a young girl from the local village of Fairbrook.  Our search has led us to an old apple grove and an abandoned farm house where we dispatched several goblins.  However, we are in the process of figuring out how to deal with the remaining goblins in the cellar of the farmhouse and hopefully find the girl.

So far the game has been alot of fun and the pace has been good with usually a 48hr turn around for the players posting their actions and the GM posting the story.

Its to bad I am just now fully discovering RPGs and I'll now have to see if I can find any local people to do some face to face RPGing with.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bayonet_Chris

That sounds cool. I've done some play by blog, play by forum, and play by email games in the past (both as a participant and as a GM). They can be a lot of fun if everyone participates regularly.

TheCommandTent

^ I can see how RL issues can come up and kill the participation if the GM does not have a plan in place. 

What I like about our GM is that before we started he sent out an email to us all laying out the expectations of a posting rhythm as well as a plan for the players if RL issues come up that keeps us away from the game for a couple of days.  Before we could start we all got to comment and then had to agree on this plan.  As long as our GM has the time and doesn't back out we should be set even if something comes up for a player for a few days.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bayonet_Chris

I've been tossing around an idea for running a play-by-post here. I may do so after I get back from vacation.

twitter3

Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 14, 2012, 04:55:11 PM
^ I can see how RL issues can come up and kill the participation if the GM does not have a plan in place. 

What I like about our GM is that before we started he sent out an email to us all laying out the expectations of a posting rhythm as well as a plan for the players if RL issues come up that keeps us away from the game for a couple of days.  Before we could start we all got to comment and then had to agree on this plan.  As long as our GM has the time and doesn't back out we should be set even if something comes up for a player for a few days.

Well, how is the game progressing?  I too have no one close by in NC to RPG with, so this sounds like a great idea. 

TheCommandTent

The games going well and at a fairly consistent pace.

http://westkingdom.blogspot.com/

In the link above you can see our latest task.  We were able to lure a few Goblins out of the basement but no we must go down to deal with the rest.  One of the goblins is under a charm spell so we are using him to help us find any traps.  We are just disarming an alarm and hopefully will take the rest of the goblins by surprise.  We also found the boyfriend of the girl we are looking for.  He had been cooked on a spit for the goblin's dinner, we hope the girl is fairing better.

Double Deuce

That looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll try something like that or a regular play by post forum game after my internet hiatus (mid to late summer).

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on April 12, 2012, 09:01:06 AM
That looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll try something like that or a regular play by post forum game after my internet hiatus (mid to late summer).

Its still going well.  As long as everyone has patience it works great.  We are just finishing up out first encounter but its still alot of fun.

Look forward to you coming back and possibly starting a game!