Better Missiles for the US Navy

Started by GDS_Starfury, August 23, 2013, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I still wish we had Tomcats but this works!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/raytheons-standard-missile-6-engages-first-over-the-horizon-targets-at-sea-220834881.html

Raytheon's Standard Missile-6 engages first over-the-horizon targets at sea

Test further verifies missile's role in extended range fleet defense

POINT MUGU SEA RANGE, Calif., Aug. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

The U.S. Navy fired two Raytheon Company Standard Missile-6 interceptors from the USS Chancellorsville, successfully engaging two cruise missile targets (BQM-74 drones) in the missile's first over-the-horizon test scenario at sea.

The SM-6 will provide U.S. Navy sailors and their vessels extended range protection against fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles and cruise missiles as part of the Naval Integrated Fire Control - Counter Air (NIFC-CA) mission area.

"The SM-6's ability to engage threats at significantly greater ranges than other missiles in its class is a game changer for the U.S. Navy," said Jim Normoyle, Raytheon Missile Systems' SM-6 program director. "We verified the weapon's new processor earlier this month, and we're preparing for the USS Chancellorsville's Combat Systems Ship Qualification Trials in November."

In February, Raytheon delivered the first SM-6 from its new $75 million, 70,000 square-foot SM-6 and Standard Missile-3 all-up-round production facility at Redstone ****nal in Huntsville, Ala. In May, a Defense Acquisition Board approved full-rate production of the SM-6 missile.

"SM-6 combines the best of our SM-2, SM-3 and AMRAAM missiles, providing an enhanced anti-air warfare and over-the-horizon capability at a reduced cost," said Mike Campisi, Raytheon Missile Systems' senior director of Standard Missile-1, -2, and -6 programs. "We have delivered more than 50 missiles ahead of schedule and under cost, and we remain on track to reach initial operating capability in 2013."

About the Standard Missile-6

SM-6 delivers a proven over-the-horizon air defense capability by leveraging the time-tested advantages of the Standard Missile's airframe and propulsion.

•The SM-6 uses both active and semiactive guidance modes and advanced fuzing techniques.
•It incorporates the advanced signal processing and guidance control capabilities from Raytheon's Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile.

counter that China  ;)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

it gets better.   :)

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2013/august/130822-mst-lockheed-martins-latest-aegis-combat-system-evolution.html

QuoteThe latest Naval Integrated Fire Control-Counter Air (NIFC-CA) test marks the first test at sea, and the second consecutive time this year, where Aegis used remote data to successfully intercept a target.

this implies data linked targeting.  so that sensor laden UAV 300 miles away can provide tracking info so the missiles can engage at their maximum range.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

Very cool. Had no idea they were working on the SM-6.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

and in other missile news:

QuoteLockheed Martin's Second Generation Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System Successfully Intercepts Most Sophisticated Target To Date

KAUAI, Hawaii, Sept. 19, 2013

The Lockheed Martin, Missile Defense Agency and U.S. Navy successfully demonstrated, on the first attempt, the second generation Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) Weapon System's capability to engage a sophisticated, separating short range ballistic missile target with two Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IB guided missiles that were fired and guided to intercept nearly simultaneously.

The test, known as Flight Test - Standard Missile-21 (FTM-21), was an operational test for Aegis BMD and SM-3 Block IB guided missile to engage and defeat a ballistic missile threat. FTM-21 marked the tenth time the USS Lake Erie (CG 70) and crew have successfully performed in Navy and Missile Defense Agency at-sea test events against cruise and ballistic missile targets using the second generation of the Aegis BMD configuration.

"This latest test is the first time we have seen USS Lake Erie, sailors, and Aegis BMD Weapon System schedule, analyze, launch and control multiple missiles in flight through intercept at the same time," said Nick Bucci, Director of BMD Development Programs at Lockheed Martin's Mission Systems and Training business. "The Aegis BMD 4.0.2 configuration provides the Navy with the ability to respond to ever increasing and evolving ballistic missile threats around the world with persistent and reliable capabilities."

The central component of the Lockheed Martin-developed Aegis BMD Combat System is the SPY-1 radar, the most widely fielded naval phased array radar in the world. The Aegis system and SPY-1 radar provide the U.S. and allied nations with advanced surveillance, anti-air warfare and missile defense capabilities.

The Missile Defense Agency and Navy are jointly developing Aegis BMD as part of the U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense System. Currently, 27 Aegis BMD-equipped warships have the certified capability to engage ballistic missiles and perform long-range surveillance and tracking missions, as well as an additional four ships in the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. The U.S. Navy plans to procure seven new Aegis BMD-equipped destroyers, and has also planned to develop two Aegis Ashore systems to perform ballistic missile defense.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2013/september/130919-mst-lockheed-martin-second-generation-aegis-bmd-successfully-intercepts-most-sophisticated-target-to-date.html

two different videos of the test.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

The missiles may be better, but the sailors?

"The event in 1981 was aboard the USS Coontz (DDG-40). While serving as Port Guard to the Carrier and a CG as plane guard we accidentally launched a harpoon from our port 4-tube launcher. It went airborne then dove between our stacks and flew along the water between the carrier & the cruiser. There were 45 military & civilian surface ships on our radar screens within the 60 mile range of the missile. All the ships went to GQ and the carrier launched her alert fighters. Our CO came over the 1MC and ordered everyone to not rotate or radiate any weapons or radar. I was on watch Lower Level Engine Room #2. Since it was an accidental firing our air intakes did not close and our space filled with smoke. We did not know what had happened and were running around our space for 15 minutes checking everything to find the source of the smoke. I was actually sitting at the air vent and got a face full of solid specks of material. Later when we realized what had happened I realized the specks were asbestos specks from the blast pad and the smoke was concentrated perchlorate salts from the rocket booster. Our CO had to do the Emergency Message protocol to inform President Carter of the incident within minutes. The Carrier Group once understanding what had happened and we were not an active threat ordered us to sail down the missiles flight path to try & discover where it went. Some time later while we were safely away from the carrier group to their relief we were informed by the SONAR ARRAY out of Puerto Rico that the missile had reached its 60 mile limit and had dove into the water and detonated 10+ miles short of Christianstead USVI. Turns out our Techs were doing PMS on the Control panel in CIC, The Local Control Room and the Launcher. The guy in CIC was ensuring the panel Fire devices were operating and sending the right signals. The guy in the local control room was doing PMS to ensure it was receiving the signal from the bridge and that the local panel was sending the fire & mission data. The guy doing pms at the launcher was using a hand held box to input mission data to the missile and verifying the missile was receiving the data correctly. he thought itd be funny to enter the direction and distance to the carrier. As soon as he entered it he thought better and rolled the last numbers entered - just as she fired!!!! Our Cheng was enjoying a lunch time sun bath on the 01 Deck just forward of the launcher and was rudely disturbed! THE OUTCOME: The 3 technicians were investigated by NCIS and cleared but were all three removed from the ship and sent to separate commands. The US Navy played down the incident because at the time the Harpoon was being pushed to become the NATO standard so sales were involved as well as a better price to the USN. The New Zealand incident I never knew about until the last 10 years. They got luck too because the vacations homes they hit & burned were unoccupied at the time, thus no casualties. Had it been vacation season the death tole would have been unthinkable."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers