Japan Launches Huge Carrier

Started by LongBlade, August 06, 2013, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 07, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 07, 2013, 07:55:11 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on August 07, 2013, 07:37:44 AM
So why do the Japanese need a carrier?  Just how far away are they planning to project force?

To the Senkaku Islands at least.

Those islands are well within the range of the Mitsubishi F-2s and F-15s that are or could be deployed to the Naha Air Base.

Maybe they're going to take Attu and Kiska again.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

^ There's a documentary on Netflix about the re-taking of those two islands from the Japanese. Can't recall what it's called, maybe something like "Red, White, Black, and Blue." Yeah, they can have those islands - there's not much there but scrub grass.

Even Midway, because why not? It might be a beautiful vista from which to pen haiku before committing seppuku. Or dodging seagull crap.

eyebiter

Quote from: LongBlade on August 06, 2013, 10:38:52 AM
I read an interesting report on Stratfor about China the other day.

The Chinese economic expansion is about to come to an end. The Chinese can mitigate the timing, but not the contraction. Since their greatest worry is domestic stability, they are going to have their hands full over the next couple of decades just trying not to have too many riots in the streets. Their days of adventurism on the high seas are likely to come to an end.

China has excess male population, the consequence of the one child per family policy and female infanticide.  Even if they change this policy, this leaves them with a sizable manpower reserve in case of war. 

If the economy crashes, the Chinese leadership might be inclined to start a foreign war just to focus attention of the population away from domestic concerns.  Currently there are several possible conflicts

- Border dispute with India
- Ownership of the South China sea islands with Japan
- Question over the fate of Taiwan
- PLA troop buildup along the North Korean border
- Renew historical rivalries with Russia or Vietnam

bayonetbrant

^^ don't forget foreign interventionism in Africa.  There're Chinese mining and construction companies all over sub-Saharan Africa right now.  Spark an 'incident' into which the Chinese would "feel the need" to "protect their citizens" and you've got a sizeable force out there.  Supporting them is a whole different animal, because they can't project log support that far.  But that might not stop them from trying.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Log support sounds like one of Windys meds.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 07, 2013, 12:24:45 PM
Log support sounds like one of Windys meds.

or what your home construction needs
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 07, 2013, 12:21:52 PM
^^ don't forget foreign interventionism in Africa.  There're Chinese mining and construction companies all over sub-Saharan Africa right now.  Spark an 'incident' into which the Chinese would "feel the need" to "protect their citizens" and you've got a sizeable force out there.  Supporting them is a whole different animal, because they can't project log support that far.  But that might not stop them from trying.

Yeah. A fun TV show to get a peek into this is Jungle Gold. These two guys are in debt up to their eyeballs due to the real estate collapse. So they get the bright idea to go to Africa to mine for Gold.

Only problem is the Chinese have jumped their claim. So the show goes on with these guys struggling to find partners they can trust to make an honest buck. All the while the Chinese are lurking in the background to try to jump their claim again.

It's pretty clear the Chinese mining companies need some serious law and order to check their naked power grabs. It's equally clear that there is no one able to do so. All it would take is a couple of companies of mercenaries, but nobody has the cash to cough up that kind of support.

While I like the guys and applaud their entrepreneurialism, I do not see that show ending well. They are honest men outnumbered and outgunned in bumfcuk Africa. Not the battle I'd pick. 
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on August 07, 2013, 01:27:56 PMbut nobody has the cash to cough up that kind of support.

offer them a cut of the claim
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.