Canadian Navy Ships Collide

Started by mirth, September 02, 2013, 06:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

playing chicken and realized neither one of them had Francophone crews?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 02, 2013, 06:35:15 AM
playing chicken and realized neither one of them had Francophone crews?

As someone of French Canadian ancestry, you have insulted my honor and I challenge you to a duel! Gus will serve as my proxy in said duel.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Hey, I'm of French-Canadian ancestry, too - just, y'know, by way of Louisiana
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

I recommend that in true historical grognard style, you take this duel to the historical site where Stephen Decatur was killed by Samuel Barron.
This is a small national park in Bladensburg, Md., just outside the border of the District of Columbia (where dueling was illegal).  The "dark, and bloody ground" is pretty small, but rather pleasant with children's play sets.  Still, the actual duelling ground is preserved; it is open with clear fields of fire.
Not only will you defend your honor, but will do it in an historical and heavily used site.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on September 02, 2013, 08:16:03 AMand heavily used site.

I hope it's been used lately!

And by "lately" I mean within the past 6 weeks or so...  how cool would that be?

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 02, 2013, 07:08:52 AM
Hey, I'm of French-Canadian ancestry, too - just, y'know, by way of Louisiana

So we'll both be using proxies for the duel?

besilarius

My eyes aren't so good for target shooting anymore (even at the enormous distance of ten paces), but I will be happy to volunteer as a second for either of the duellists.   Getting the required MO, mainly to assign the time of death, could be an issue in this unenlightened time.
Can also offer a nice spread before, or after, the drawing of blood, for any survivors.  Traditionally, it would be hot, black coffee, fresh bread, and bacon.  And, of course, various flasks of "medicinal" spirits.   However, there is a Dunkin's Donut nearby, an IHOP, and a Burger King.
Croissanwich for all!
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Mirth, it occurs to me, that as the aggrieved party, it is your choice as to which weapons are used.
Now, we all think of american duels revolving around pistols (Decatur and Barron, Hamilton and Burr, etc.), but that is not true.
Think of the duel over Paris where hot air balloons with blunderbuss were the weapons of choice.  Otto von Bismarck was supposedly involved in a duel where the aggrieved party chose two sausages.  The macguffin there was that one was ifected with trichinosis.  Naturally, Bismarck refused such a dishonorable way of resolving a matter of honor.
Now I would suggest, that due tot he recent release of Rome II, it would be right and proper to use weaponry from that time period.  The roman infantryman's gladius comes to mind.  Perhaps the pilum.
Still, I think the best weapons would for both parties to be armed with the Macedonian sarissa.  What could be fairer, and more groglike, than to be stabbing each other with sixteen foot pikes?

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

A much better choice of weapons with period 'flavor' would be two water-balloons full of Garum. Loser may not shower for the rest of the day.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

I like the blunderbuss + zeppelin solution.

The only thing better might be some sort of Tesla lightning pistol or something.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

The hot air balloon with blunderbuss was a Klassik.  But it did cause an excess of casualties.  Both parties rose up in their balloons, but as the Code Duello required, their seconds went up with them.
Thus when one got a hit on the opponents balloon, when the balloon crashed, the second also perished.
I believe that some versions of the Code allowed the seconds to take over if the aggrieved party was wounded too badly to continue.  Still, the seconds were there to maintain rational thought, not to themselves die.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

^I like that. If I'm going to die, you can be damned sure I'm taking my second to hell with me.

Balloons and blunderbusses it is!

besilarius

If you and Brant will set a date, I'd be happy to reserve the Bladensburg duelling grounds. 
Can easily fit this into the category of a family party.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Can you get a beer permit for the day as well?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys