WWII Japanese Mega Sub Found

Started by LongBlade, December 03, 2013, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

the I-400, largest sub prior to the nuclear age and capable of launching aircraft, has been found off the coast of Hawaii. It was scuttled by the US Navy to keep it out of Soviet hands.

QuoteInitially conceived as a weapon to target the U.S. mainland and capable of reaching any point on the globe without refueling, the subs were effectively underwater aircraft carriers outfitted with three folding-wing seaplanes capable of carrying an 1,800-pound bomb.

The ships were never used to attack the mainland United States and saw only limited service before Japan surrendered in 1945.

But their novel design represented a tactical shift in thinking about the use of submarines, which until then had been strictly seen as anti-ship weapons, James Delgado, director of the Maritime Heritage Program of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said in the university statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/03/us/japanese-submarine-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

According to the article that makes it 4 out of 5 I-400-class subs now found and ID'ed. IIRC the I series and their light-bomber/floatplanes were originally designed to be able to attack the Panama Canal and destroy the locks making it much more difficult for the USN to move ships between theaters or bring the product of East Coast shipyards quickly into the pacific campaign.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The cool thing about this story is that it's the first of the class that they found. I like how they described the ocean as the world's biggest museum. Very true.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus