Forgotten Weapons

Started by bayonetbrant, December 10, 2013, 09:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/

very interesting site

example post: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-most-elegant-pistol-ever/

QuoteMost of the time, guns intended to be fancy and particularly fancy leave me rather cold. I can recognize the mind-blowing skill that goes into really high-end hand engraving, but engraved guns just aren't really my style. Same with precious metal inlays...it's just not for me. Even if I one day become wealthy enough to afford such things, I can't really see myself partaking.

However, I would like to think that I do have some appreciation for the truly elegant firearms that are out there. There are lots of typical, ordinary looking designs, and quite a lot of pretty hideous ones (which I am often drawn to because of their under-appreciated nature). The Dreyse 1907 I recently picked up is a good example – it may look like Schmeisser was pretty hung over on the morning he drew it up, but it's still an interesting and historically significant design.

But, every once in a while I stumble upon a gun that is just absolutely gorgeous not because it has been gussied up with decorations but because its functional parts lead to a very pleasing form, complemented by just the right choice of materials for its construction. The best example I've yet seen is the 1896 Bittner manually-repeating pistol:

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat