Goodbye to the Warthog?

Started by BanzaiCat, December 13, 2013, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Ah. The high school, clique mentality is still alive and well in the Armed Forces.

mirth

They're worried about going back to being the United States Army Air Forces.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Really? I never knew that. 'Course it's been a long while. My grandfather was in the Army Air Corps and went over to the Air Force when things changed in the late 40s. I had my eye on joining the Air Force in 1990 or so, but changed my mind.

mirth

I was being tongue-in-cheek, but it does seem like the Air Force never really got over the fight to become an independent branch.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

eyebiter

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2013, 01:10:06 PM
It's not that the USAF really *wants* it, they just don't want the Army to have it.

And that's why we have the finest military in the world!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Airborne Rifles

I really hope the army buys these this time.

eyebiter

bob48

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 13, 2013, 12:17:15 PM
Is it true that the A-10 is "shunned by many aviators?" I'm sure it handles like a pig and it's slow, but hell, to have that kind of CAS power between your legs...must be how Mirth feels on date night.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to be able to talk to an A10 pilot, and look over his aircraft, on the static flight line at RAF Luchars (it was an international air display). He said they are a fantastic to fly. I've got some photo's somewhere.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

pffft

the original 'end of the A-10' article was published back in the early 80's.  ;)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

That Scorpion is a cute little aircraft. It just looks a little fragile for it's intended role. All the Shilkas out there are probably drooling from their 23mm muzzles already.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

The f16 is probably the lowest maintenance cost plane.

As stated before why have CAS now? A high volume guidance pack for small rockets sounds cheaper to me. Pilots are expensive to train. Planes are expensive to maintain. The cost of 30mm shells doesn't matter. For the times you need CAS before a truck mounted system can get in theater put a bigger gun on the drones.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MIGMaster

When the poop hits the fan - a manned aircraft is probaly the most adaptive platform for applying 30 mm love. That whistle the A-10 makes is just "magic" - I suspect some enemy troops stand there and watch it prior to be vaporized!

Windigo

Quote from: MIGMaster on December 17, 2013, 02:58:26 PM
When the poop hits the fan - a manned aircraft is probaly the most adaptive platform for applying 30 mm love. That whistle the A-10 makes is just "magic" - I suspect some enemy troops stand there and watch it prior to be vaporized!

i'd jump into the closest foxhole.... even if it was the outhouse hole if that puppy was anywhere in my vicinity

I'd sooner have a beating heart and smell like shit, that be shredded beef with a hint of Polo cologne
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

BanzaiCat

If some thirty mike-mikes hit you, I don't think there'd be anything left except wisps of woolly mammoth hide.  :D