New Mexico's kamikaze

Started by besilarius, December 15, 2013, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

New Mexico caught at the moment of strike by a kamikaze.  Over a 170 crew were killed or injured.

Somewhat of interest, the three New Mexicos were sent to Iceland in 1942 to help the British Home Fleet if the Tirpitz tried to make a breakout.  They were based near Rejkavijk and were supposed to be able to cork the northern strait (Bismark's route) or sortie south if needed.  Since there was some fear that the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau would accompany Tirpitz, the three New Mexicos were thought capable of handling them.
The obvious issues was speed.  They were significantly slower than the German ships.  However, they had at least two heavy cruisers, Tuscaloosa and Quincy attached and a destroyer squadron.  Also, on Iceland there were PBYs, normally ASW aircraft, that were fitted with torpedoes, and the british establishment had some air assets as well.
Also, of interest, the commander of the RN there was Dalrymple-Hamilton who had been captain of the Rodney during the Bismark fight.

Have always thought this scenario might make an interesting, difficult battle.  First, can the US BBs actually force an action before the Germans run past, and then how would the battle fight out.  The Germans could always have a Lutzow or Hipper to balance.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

undercovergeek

im sure someone could make this in CMANO

Staggerwing

Can you actually mod any of the in-game ships to the degree of simulating the Tirpitz or Scharnhorst?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys