Navy helps fund 3D printing of buildings

Started by steve58, January 21, 2014, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Amazing.  3D printing technology seems to be expanding everywhere...

Concrete printers would be able to build a 2,500-square-foot building within a single day, according to Khoshnevis.

For the military, that means soldiers deploying to a remote location with little or no infrastructure could be operating out of permanent structures pretty soon after a combat engineer unit arrived with printers and material aboard a C-17.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/21/navy-helps-fund-3d-printing-buildings/?intcmp=features
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Incredible.

Skynet is starting to gain steam.

mirth

I, for one, welcome our new cybernetic overlords.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

If they start building robot spiders, it's game over, man.

Seriously, though...well, sorta...we're headed for an idiocracy. If this is the future and all it takes is some random dude with a printer and material to load into it, and all he has to do is push a button, why would we need combat engineers in the first place and not just some 18-year-old Best Buy/Buy More drop out?

I know that time is far, far away, I'm just saying...if you automate everything, then the skills learned to do it by hand - even if less efficient - are going to disappear.

GDS_Starfury

Building a shell and finishing a home are two very different things.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

True enough, Star. But, I can see this encompassing everything. At least, eventually. I'm talking Extreme Home Makeover, but with Skynet's finest doing it in a day or two.

mirth

plug me into the Matrix and get it over with.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

I imagine the time it takes is directly linked to how complex the structure is.  a simple rectangle box is easy enough for a day.  a split level with rounded bits and coffer ceilings might be a different story.  I also dont see it building everything.  even with your basic concrete box of today you still have furring strips to hide mechanicals behind and to hang drywall off of.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Bad enough that illegals "took yer jawbs" - but now robots?  ;D