Cars

Started by GDS_Starfury, January 21, 2014, 05:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Talk to me, Goose!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Oh...I didn't notice "MAVERICK" there under the window.

That's pretty much...welllllll...

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

mirth

^That is the preferred version!

bayonetbrant

09 Malibu vs 59 Bel-Air crash test...

Gimme the Malibu.  Wow.

[yt]https://youtu.be/fPF4fBGNK0U[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Even in older cars who's cabins didn't collapse the sudden deceleration trauma is profound. Whom ever thought up the idea of crumple zones and their ability to soak up kinetic force deserves a godsdamn nobel prize.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Barthheart

Barthheart

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

DeLorean Will Restart Production In 2017

QuoteBack in 2008, a small company known as DeLorean Motor Company began refurbishing DeLorean' s

>:(

Quoteafter it finally acquired all of the remaining parts and tooling from was left over from the original DMC. Keep in mind that the DeLorean Motor Company that I'm talking about here has absolutely no ties to the original company. These refurbished DeLoreans have been going for somewhere between $40,000 and $50,000. Everything is about to change for the new DMC, though.

The Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015 will allow small auto manufacturers to produce up to 325 replicas of vehicles that are at least 25 years old, which means the new DMC is about to start producing the DeLorean again. In an interview with Automobile, President of the new DMC, James Espey, said "The Low Volume Manufacturers bill has significantly changed our business model. We're moving from just service and restoration to full low-volume manufacturing and assembly."

DMC claims to have "thousands" of stainless steel panels and parts that will support the DMC manufactured fiberglass chassis. The company will stay true to the original DMC-12 made in 1982, but there will be some modern changes to the car. Production should start sometime in early 2017, assuming the DOT and NHTSA finalize the manufacturing rules on time. When the new DMC-12 rolls of the line in Humble, Texas, pricing is expected to be somewhere below $100,000.

This Humble, Texas location is only about 20 miles from me.  :D

QuoteSo, here's the deal: one of the biggest changes that will come with this remake of the DMC-12 is an engine that is more powerful. The original had a 2.85-liter engine that put out a sad 130 horsepower. I've driven one of the originals, and I'm not sure how Marty McFly ever got the thing to 88 mph in a small parking lot. To put it simply, the car was so heavy that it was a turd. The new DMC is looking to a couple different engine suppliers, one of which hasn't been named. The other is GM, which offers several "E-Rod" crate engine options that are already emissions certified. The small-block Chevys would be a good fit for the new DMC 12.

One of the reasons I think the original DMC-12 flopped is that we weren't ready for it yet. Those doors posed quite a problem if you were in a mall parking lot. And, back in the early 80s, you didn't go to Amazon to get whatever you wanted to impulse buy; you went to the mall. Sometimes I wonder just how many people were left waiting for the jerk who purposely parked too close to their DeLorean.

Aside from a goal of somewhere between 350 and 400 horsepower, the new DMC will equip the DMC-12 with bigger wheels, bigger brakes, and a more modernized interior. I doubt you'll get a flux capacitor, but the cassette tape player will be replaced with at least a CD player, or maybe even a touch screen display. That might be a little much for a car like the DMC-12, but it's also been more than 30 years since the original was leaving people stranded in tight parking spots.

All told, I think this is a pretty awesome idea, and I hope the DOT and NHSTA hurry up with finalizing all those pesky rules. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of these new DeLoreans rolling around. To be honest, I really hope I manage to drive one, especially now that it's faster than a Toyota Prius. The funny part is, I have a feeling the new DMC-12 will end up being way more popular than the original.

mirth

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

W8taminute

I want one of these....

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk