The end of the tank?

Started by WallysWorld, February 09, 2014, 12:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Continue building or upgrading tanks or job losses?

"The manufacturing of tanks — powerful but cumbersome — is no longer essential, the military says. In modern warfare, forces must deploy quickly and "project power over great distances." Submarines and long-range bombers are needed. Weapons such as drones — nimble and tactical — are the future. Tanks are something of a relic."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-end-of-the-tank-the-army-says-it-doesnt-need-it-but-industry-wants-to-keep-building-it/2014/01/31/c11e5ee0-60f0-11e3-94ad-004fefa61ee6_story.html
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jack Nastyface

It may be that the Army and Marines don't need lots of NEW tanks, but I think it is premature to believe that the existing fleet of vehicles do not have a future on the battlefield...and that they won't need to be maintained and upgraded with some regular retirements.  The problem with war is that we frequently assume that the next war is going to be like the last war, and inevitably it is not.  I have always believed that it is only a matter of time until someone creates an affordable / effective anti-ATGM system, which would would reduce the threat of those systems.  And if such systems emerge, then the balance of firepower will favor the army that has big ballistic guns on its side.  Like a tank.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.