Indian Navy has that sinking feeling

Started by WallysWorld, March 06, 2014, 04:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Since the turn of the century, India has invested heavily in building the navy it needs for dominating the northern Indian Ocean, a crucial maritime highway for the flow of hydrocarbons from West Asia to China, Japan and the Southeast Asian countries; and for the transportation to Europe of merchandise from those manufacturing economies.

With China's military a looming presence on its Himalayan border with Tibet, New Delhi has long derived strategic assurance from its potential stranglehold over China's sea lines of communication, or SLOCs, as these maritime highways are termed.

Over the last seven months, however, a spate of accidents involving Indian Navy warships has placed a question mark over this capability.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/03/sinking-feeling-over-indian-navy-20143665414242983.html
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 06, 2014, 04:59:35 PM
while the ships have had issues the Brahmos is a serious cylinder of fuck you up at mach 3.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/09/27/17/01/1980_volkswagen_vanagon-pic-63924.jpeg

How many Vanagons can a typical Indian destroyer carry? Sure it's badass, but it's a rather bulky weapon.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on March 06, 2014, 05:52:39 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 06, 2014, 04:59:35 PM
while the ships have had issues the Brahmos is a serious cylinder of fuck you up at mach 3.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/09/27/17/01/1980_volkswagen_vanagon-pic-63924.jpeg

How many Vanagons can a typical Indian destroyer carry? Sure it's badass, but it's a rather bulky weapon.

Plus those are really Type-2(Mk2)'s, not Type-2(Mk 3)'s with their greater payload carrying capacity. That said, they are still a significant power-projection upgrade from the old Type-2(Mk1)'s though:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

India has to find a supplier besides the Canadian Navy   8)

mirth

This the ultimate version, but I don't think they've been allowed for export to the INS. The Chinese are very concerned about the Indians getting access to this kind of sophisticated weaponry.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

IIRC the US Military was considering deploying a US license-built upgrade of the original German design during the Cold War:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys