Unrecord - singleplayer tactical bodycam FPS

Started by al_infierno, April 19, 2023, 08:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Some of the gameplay footage for this looks ridiculously impressive.  Saw this video on Twitter and initially thought it was one of those "game sounds laid over real life footage" bits at first.

Hope this one will be good.

https://twitter.com/esankiy/status/1648717946477314048

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2381520/Unrecord/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Wow, pretty impressive and also bone chillingly real looking.  Nice find.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

Destraex

Apparently this trailer caused a bit of a stir. People saying it was fake. It does look very realistic.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Apparently they released new footage to prove it's not fake, but now people are calling the new footage fake. 

I'm not sure.  Even Cyberpunk 2077 in Overdrive with the new Path Tracing on my RTX 4090 doesn't pop like that. 

Same with a lot of shots of DCS.

If it's real they've found ways to push the Unreal Engine, especially the lighting, to new heights.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

I'm inclined to believe it's real with all the evidence presented and watching the videos in full screen.

I can't see how the devs would benefit from fake footage, not in the world of fast steam refunds and instant youtube reactions. 

I'd really like to see what they're doing translated to an Arma style Milsim if it's a hit.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sigwolf

The entire problem is not whether its genuine, it's the "bodycam" premise.  It's a stupid freaking gimmick when used on tv shows, and it is no less stupid here.  There's zero rational reason to use "bodycam" over view from the player's eyes.  Police don't conduct there investigations or chase criminals through a camera view, they use their eyes.

Are we supposed to pretend we are controlling a remote 'android' officer?  Nope that premise doesn't work, either, because why wouldn't the view be through the android's eyes?  It just doesn't work on any logical level.

The graphics are great, and I would love to see a realistic procedural game like this... just make the players view make sense, because this doesn't.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sigwolf on April 26, 2023, 06:03:50 PMThe entire problem is not whether its genuine, it's the "bodycam" premise.  It's a stupid freaking gimmick when used on tv shows, and it is no less stupid here.  There's zero rational reason to use "bodycam" over view from the player's eyes.  Police don't conduct there investigations or chase criminals through a camera view, they use their eyes.

Are we supposed to pretend we are controlling a remote 'android' officer?  Nope that premise doesn't work, either, because why wouldn't the view be through the android's eyes?  It just doesn't work on any logical level.

The graphics are great, and I would love to see a realistic procedural game like this... just make the players view make sense, because this doesn't.

From what I read about the game on the website, it sounds like they might be going for a "found footage" or rather "lost evidence in an investigation" type of vibe for the game's story.  So for example, maybe diegetically the player is an investigator watching the body cam footage, but for the sake of compelling gameplay, the player also controls the officer in the footage (much like the "flashbacks" in camera recordings in the Outlast games).

I might be wrong about, but yeah it's a bit of a weird gimmick, and it falls apart a bit when the officer is apparently using their bodycam to aim down the ironsights of the pistol.

- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I could absolutely do without the GoPro stuff, that was my main turnoff. 

I'm honestly more intrigued by their supposed shooting mechanics than any of the graphical whizbangs they're throwing at everyone.

I've always been interested in any game that tries to break the mold of the standard shooter/melee mechanic that we see so often in FPS games.  This is why I got burned on the Clang Kickstarter.

Zulu1966

Not sure what the body cam criticism is about...looks like a pretty standard FPS view point to me. I came across this footage the other day elsewhere and was frankly blown away if it is real. Which I can't see why it wouldn't be unless the game is a complete scam as people will spot it pretty quickly.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JasonPratt

I think what's throwing people is the 'body' part of 'bodycam' -- the point is graphical fidelity (sort of like the release of Half-life 2, but moreso). Helmet cam would fix the perspective expectation.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!