Enlisted: War Thunder with an infantry POV

Started by MengJiao, May 13, 2021, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 16, 2021, 07:49:18 AM

Here's the assault squad in the practice field.  I've swapped some of the Sten IIs for Thompsons for the lead men with the motorcycle team and added a shot gun for the last stand man.  If properly unsupervised he will get by a doorway and cause some damage at least on defense.  The Sten-Thompson swap is counterintuitive maybe, but I find it easier to aim the Thompson even with its lower muzzle velocity.  The motorcycle riders have extra rifles for longer-range shots and with the Enfield SMLE IIIs with bayonets, the "assault squad" is great on defending buildings.

W8taminute

I really wanna try the new Tunisia map.  Looks like the battle flow is quite different from the Moscow, D-Day, and Berlin maps. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2021, 10:30:44 AM
I really wanna try the new Tunisia map.  Looks like the battle flow is quite different from the Moscow, D-Day, and Berlin maps.

There's three maps so far: Al Har (big village, pretty cool)  The Gorge (odd, supposedly there will be speed boats?) and Something jabbar (like Al Har but with more walled farms and fields and hills -- haven't played it much except I recall one defense being pretty epic at one of the walled farms).  I'm glad to have escaped the monastery in Moscow...very tired of that place.  I've only played Moscow and Tunisia so I can't say how different the flow is.  The Enfield has always been one of my favorites in all these games so I'm glad to have that with a big bayonet.

This doesn't say much for the flow, but here is a non-motorcycle squad almost in action.  Motorcycles got reclassified as "Infantry vehicles" (like buses or jeeps or Kublewagons) rather than "Vehicles" (like tanks or armored cars or airplanes) so anyone who finds one can drive it.  I drove a German one (captured) for a bit once even:

Destraex

Had a quick go of the battle of berlin. It's going to take practise to really control the squadies. A tank like the t34 however i owned in. Hope to try the other maps and that they are larger for tanks.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 23, 2021, 12:42:30 AM
Had a quick go of the battle of berlin. It's going to take practise to really control the squadies. A tank like the t34 however i owned in. Hope to try the other maps and that they are larger for tanks.

I'm in Tunisia.  Knocked out an Italian armored car with a Boys AT rifle, a pleasant surprise for me at least.

W8taminute

Played the Al Har map the other night.  I guess anyone can play Tunisia but your progress and level ups won't be saved unless you purchase the closed beta bundle which I won't do. 

Like this campaign and can't wait until it's released. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on September 23, 2021, 08:36:38 AM
Played the Al Har map the other night.  I guess anyone can play Tunisia but your progress and level ups won't be saved unless you purchase the closed beta bundle which I won't do. 

Like this campaign and can't wait until it's released.

Yeah, its reasonably fun.  I like it better than Moscow and I haven't seen a wide-open free-for-all "Tunisia" FPS (I guess its really more of an anything from 1939 to 1943 anywhere you might have some
Italians campaign) in a long time.  I'm happy with the relatively primitive things like the Boys so far.  And I'm sad we get the Indian Army light MG but as yet no Indians, Punjbais  or Gurkhas.  The Bren shows up looking very primitive too for that matter (well at campaign level 20 or something you get the mighty Bren).  The one good thing I can say about the closed beta bundle it that it looks like the motorcycle was put together by
Darkflow rather than the War thunder crew so it looks very nice...not worth 50 bucks though.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 23, 2021, 07:51:19 AM

I'm in Tunisia.  Knocked out an Italian armored car with a Boys AT rifle, a pleasant surprise for me at least.

Top fireteam.  In this screenshot from the practice area, you can see the basic carbine, the Boys (on the backs), 2 different Enfields, the thirty-ought-six 1903 springfield sniper rifle, The Sten and the strange
SMG in the foreground (oh and the Thompson):

Destraex

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 28, 2021, 07:13:02 AM
American M1?

Eventually.  I've always thought the Enfield was a good all-around rifle in all its forms.  With the giant bayonet in the hands of a good infantryman it is the ultimate melee weapon in the game next to the shovel though my only encounter with the dreaded shovel came when I ran over a shoveling shovel man in his hole with a tank.  The tank scooped him out and stuck his screaming face on the driver's port and eventually reported him dead via a calmly asserted in white font "Assist +45" (whatever that means), after which he vanished into the halls of history (as they occasionally say in really bad Star Trek episodes, I think, IIRC).  I have to say running people over is quite magical in this game.  You never know what's going to happen, but it involves a lot of complex verbal notations and some screaming.

However, lately I've been delighting in the Boys, which kills instantly with a hit to the gut at hundreds of yards, shoots fast from a 5-shot magazine and has a beautiful sight.  Also, it occasionally knocks out tanks.

The Dauntless Dive Bomber is also a very good fighter in this game.  The twin nose 50-cals will kill fast with a deflection shot (which is vaguely realistic  in the South Pacific the Dauntless scout squadrons got the first kills from some carriers early on, much to the horror of the Wildcat fighter pilots) and will sometimes kill tank crewmen too.  Bombs of course don't do as much as they used to but the 50 cals haven't been nerfed at all it seems.

W8taminute

I heard that the number one killer of Tiger 2s during WW2 were 50 cal shots from a Dauntless.   :DD

al_infierno

I thought it was transmission failure?   #:-)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on September 28, 2021, 12:11:43 PM
I heard that the number one killer of Tiger 2s during WW2 were 50 cal shots from a Dauntless.   :DD

the one magic Dauntless?

Destraex

Iirc the dauntless actually had a good record in real life dogfights.