2012 London Olympics Becoming a Hard Target

Started by Gusington, April 30, 2012, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 07:32:40 PM
Good question. Perhaps the RAF will be looking for...the Luftwaffe?

I didn't want to be the first to post this, but it seems to me that there is a slight possibility that they're preparing for the last war, not the next one.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: Marty Ward on May 01, 2012, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 09:32:40 AM
^'Sup Marty. Welcome. The helicopter borne snipers are training to take out pilots of smaller planes on potential suicide missions. The deployed missiles are to defend against a 9/11 style attack.

Hi Gus. Just found the place.

Putting missle batteries on top of buildings to prevent an airplane from striking seems a bit dramatic to me.

Don't they have an air force to take out suspicious planes?

Welcome Marty! 

0kult13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17829389
http://www.blowe.org.uk/2012/04/newhams-social-cleansing-inevitable.html

Missile batteries are just flare to distract attention away from the social cleansing being carried out in Olympic areas.
If there is to be some 'terrorist' event im guessing a dirty bomb on aug 1 due to esoteric 'day of the harvest' ties. Also why in the name of all the gods of olympus would a 'terrorist' attack the main games with all the security, when there are untold miles of unprotected railway track and communication lines. Not to mention the uk security forces have 40 old years of experiance dealing with well funded terrorists during the troubles, missiles really what nonsense.   

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 08:20:37 PM
If I stop and think about it, it really is kind of sad that the Olympics have to be defended like this.

+1 brother...+1. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

Quote from: 0kult13 on May 02, 2012, 01:48:20 AM
Also why in the name of all the gods of olympus would a 'terrorist' attack the main games with all the security, when there are untold miles of unprotected railway track and communication lines. Not to mention the uk security forces have 40 old years of experiance dealing with well funded terrorists during the troubles, missiles really what nonsense.

You have a good point there.  It's sort of like Stalingrad isn't it?  You have elite troops heavily occupied in the city streets, while the less motivated/trained Rumanian and Italian forces in the outskirts are blown away by operation Uranus.  The damage is done without having to attack the main prize directly. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

I think it's naive to assume that all security assets will be posted in London at the main games.  This is just where heavy security will be most visible and send the greatest message to the public.  I have no doubt there will be others vigilantly watching the rest of the nation.

Still, terrorists would want to strike the actual games.  A successful attack here would have the greatest strategic and psychological effect.  Attacking an empty railroad station on the outskirts of town would be essentially meaningless.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I agree.

LB has a point with "fighting the last war" too. In my mind terrorists are constantly evolving because if they don't, they'll be countered immediately. They should know that they can't get away with another Munich '72 type attack as well as another 9/11 type attack.

The job of the defense analysts and officers protecting us is partly to predict the next threat. I'm sure they know a whole lot that we don't, and that somewhere along the line missiles were recommended.

Doesn't hurt that they also send a message to both the public and 'the enemy' at the same time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd