One Year Ago Today

Started by bayonetbrant, May 01, 2012, 05:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 01, 2012, 12:43:24 PM
^ That was fairly clear from the get go. Not sure what can be done, if anything, about that.

Cutoff the billion or so dollars you all send over there until they cough up answeres or people.

LongBlade

In principle I agree.

The question is, "who gets that money?"

I'm not naive enough to believe that only our friends  do, but I would hate to  think that, say 75% of the good guys get the money, then we cut it off and our true allies (if they exist) are the ones more hurt.

As much as I am reluctant to say it, it's a black box and we almost have to trust them to do what is right.

(and I'd put a ROLF smilie here if it weren't so sad)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

The days of Pakistan being a US ally are at an end. I think at all levels they are merely using you for the money.... hoping that will keep India from steamrolling them.

Gusington

^Definitely agree there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Pakistan was never our ally.  They used us for money...we used them for access. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2012, 02:00:45 PM
Pakistan was never our ally.  They used us for money...we used them for access.

Why the past tense? Aren't we still largely in bed with them?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Con

[/quote]

Well, my vote is to quietly find those folks and cut the brake lines on their cars as they commute through the mountains.
[/quote]

Looks like we did do something like that in the past (I at least hope we did).  Bottom line is that three Saudi princes and a Pakistani General all implicated in 911 all dead within a couple of weeks.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,480240,00.html

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 01, 2012, 02:25:24 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 01:12:01 PM(and I'd put a ROLF smilie...

I had a fraternity brother whose nickname was Fozzy Bear. Not that any of y'all really care, but I thought I'd share. You'd never know it by talking to him but he was a bona-fide savant. Never went to class, never read a book, aced all his math tests.

Anyway, carry on.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

pawelj

Quote from: Barthheart on May 01, 2012, 01:24:20 PM
The days of Pakistan being a US ally are at an end. I think at all levels they are merely using you for the money.... hoping that will keep India from steamrolling them.

We could threaten to allow India to steamroll over them and block China from interfearing in the rolling process. That should put the bejesus into them. Or on the smaller scale US could mention that "maybe" Kashmir does belong to India, and if they don't behave the "maybe" becomes "definately".
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

0kult13

Ya gotta love the 2 minutes of hate