Main Menu

Just got a PS4

Started by JudgeDredd, August 21, 2017, 08:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So......

I've played on various consoles over the years. Not my own, but friends and family and I have to be honest, I never really enjoyed it. I found looking around very difficult to get used to. FPS's were particularly bad for me.

However, with my new phone contract and it came with a free PS4 and the game Uncharted which I was very surprised about because the phone contract is only £18pm.

Well, I had every intention of selling said PS4 for a couple of hundred quid. However, once I got it, I decided to unpack it and give it a go.

Man - have consoles come a long way! The gaming experience was actually quite good and the graphics are excellent.

So now I've purchased my beloved Madden NFL 2017 - a game I really enjoyed until they decided to remove it from the PC 10 years ago in 2007. I've also picked up No Man's Sky as it's a bargain.

It's not going to take over from my PC gaming, but it can be used as a supplement for games I may not get for the PC.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Damn. That's a helluva phone deal.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Aye. Virgin Media kind of throw things at their customers from time to time.

Contract is £18pm for 24 months for

• 4G
  • 300 minutes
  • 1GB Data (I'm in a lot of WiFi hotspots)
  • Unlimited texts
Sony Xperia XA1
Sony Playstation 4

...and then £1pm when the 24 months is up. It seemed a crazy deal to me and I was sure I'd call and they'd say "Oh sorry - it was while stocks last and they've gone". To my utter amazement, they had some in stock!

Kind of chuffed.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

That's pretty sweet.

Here in the States we consumers really get the short stick when it comes to wireless and internet, and I'll be polite and not say where the short stick goes.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

W8taminute

Excellent deal JD.  Welcome to the wonderful world of console gaming.  It certainly won't take up all your gaming time but it's still a good experience. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

I guess I'll be firing up No Man Sky tonight - see what all the fuss was about
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Wow. Sweet deal!

My son has a PS4 but he never uses it. He has Destiny and Fallout 4. I've been wanting to play Fallout 4 but I don't have time to go get it nor time to play it. :(

I've been done with consoles, honestly, since my old Xbox. I had a 360 but hardly touched it.

bbmike

Now I really hate Verizon.  >:(
I want to get a console at some point but can't decide which to get.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I'm meh about a console...we have Verizon ourselves and haven't really had issues with them. Except for me getting shitloads of robo-calls, ever-increasing, over the last six months or so. Driving me nuts.

I'm due to get a new phone in October. I've had this Galaxy Note 5 for a couple of years. Debating whether I need to switch to an iPhone or stick with my Android.

Yskonyn

Nice going JD!  :bd:

You can shoot me a friend request if you like; Yskonyn on PSN as well.
Destiny 2 is coming up Sept 6th; really got me hyped!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I'm not registered on the network yet Yskonyn - I haven't looked into that aspect yet. If/when I do, I'll fire a request across. Do you like/play Madden NFL? I'm getting 17 and I imagine playing against a real opponent on that game might be a buzz. But like I said - I haven't looked into online gaming on the PS4 yet...there's a cost, right?

As for No Mans Sky. I played it solid for 4 hours yesterday. That time was spent working out what to do (I had to find things to get my ship fixed and fueled up) and then get off the planet, got to an Alien Beacon and then a space station.

So far, it's pretty much fly here, run around discovering stuff, gathering resources you need...and that's it. It kept me locked in for 4 hours because I wanted to explore the planet and get my ship working. Now that's done and I've been to another planet and noted that whilst it's different, it's the same things, I'm not sure what's ahead in gaming terms.

I'll be on it tonight for a few hours - it strikes me as one of those instances where you think a game has really grabbed you and got that addiction thing going on, only to realise that you saw everything pretty much in the first few hours.

Time will tell.
Alba gu' brath

Grimnirsson

Games as NMS and also Elite Dangerous are only fun if you are into that kind of experience and are willing and able to write your own story. I play both games and like 'em both for different reasons (atm I am more into ED) but there's certainly a certain circle of actions you are going through again and again. If you can see that as the road which can lead you to your own experience in a really huge galaxy (or universe as it is called in NMS) then it is less an "oh the same things!" feeling but more one step further to interesting stuff that may await you out there. To make screenshots along the way or even small video is a great way to create your personal story. But again, such games are only fun for a special kind of gamer.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grim.Reaper

Madden 18 was just released today....picked it up but I play on Xbox.  Madden is madden....if your not looking for a complete simulation of football, it's still fun to play.  Graphics are great this year in my opinion and gameplay good enough.  I only play sports games on the console like madden and NHL, otherwise do most stuff on Pc.