War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

https://steamcommunity.com/games/541210/announcements/detail/2086797029134440266

QuoteWar on the Sea puts you in command of warship task forces, supply convoys and submarines as well as tactical use of aircraft to secure the South Pacific during World War II. Heavily inspired by the classic computer games "Great Naval Battles" and "Task Force 1942", War on the Sea is coming soon to PC and Mac.

1942: The world is at war

The Japanese Empire expands throughout the Pacific where Allied forces attempt to halt its spread. A desperate struggle for control of the Solomon Islands is now underway.

How will you protect your transports as they deliver troops and supplies in the South Pacific? Will you deploy precious aircraft carriers to provide air cover? Do you screen the area with submarines? Or attempt to lure the enemy navy into a decisive surface engagement?

Features

Real-time naval combat
Theatrical external-view game play
Play as Allied Forces or Imperial Japan
Over 50 classes of playable ships
Dynamic campaign
Tactical control of aircraft (not a flight simulator)
Fight fires, counter flood compartments and repair ships
Sink ships using realistic buoyancy physics
Historical missions based on actual naval engagements
Historical ships, aircraft and weapons
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

glen55

GNB and TF42 are a couple of really fine games that only need a graphical upgrade and the addition of air-ship combat--both of which it appears we are getting. So I'm jacked by the little film.

But the description of controlling convoys and subs in the blurb kind of hint at a strategic layer. There wasn't any strategic layer in the GNB games I've played, nor do I recollect one in TF 42 but I understand there have been supply bases to attack in some of the games? Can anybody shed light on that?

I'll play this game for the battles, but if there's a decent strategic layer I might obsess on it. . . .
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: glen55 on April 03, 2020, 05:49:45 PM
GNB and TF42 are a couple of really fine games that only need a graphical upgrade and the addition of air-ship combat--both of which it appears we are getting. So I'm jacked by the little film.

But the description of controlling convoys and subs in the blurb kind of hint at a strategic layer. There wasn't any strategic layer in the GNB games I've played, nor do I recollect one in TF 42 but I understand there have been supply bases to attack in some of the games? Can anybody shed light on that?

I'll play this game for the battles, but if there's a decent strategic layer I might obsess on it. . . .

Task Force 42 was a fantastic game.  This one should be at least as good.  It's nice that the south pacific in 1942 has been getting more attention lately.

The_Admiral

Quote from: glen55 on April 03, 2020, 05:49:45 PM
There wasn't any strategic layer in the GNB games I've played, nor do I recollect one in TF 42 but I understand there have been supply bases to attack in some of the games? Can anybody shed light on that?

There was! The TF1942 strategic layer was very decent - although relatively affected by the buggy state of affairs overall. I played that to death. KF using that as a canvas for its own strategic module is a safe bet that cannot go wrong, gameplay-wise.

Naturally the GNB2 mention is also there to imply that unlike TF1942 it will be a 3-dimensional affair. TF1942 completely gave up on subs & carrier planes, and then 1942:PAW gave up on surface combat & subs all the same - I suppose back then you couldn't have them all sweets in the same package :P
Anyway, the strat layer was somewhat centered on the actual struggle for Henderson Field, as the two players (the human & the AI) had to send supplies and troops, while the local commander would try regularly to assault his counterpart. A force ratio affair would occur and the result would mean victory, stalemate or defeat. Although it was convincing enough an affair for my 10 years-old safe, obviously in retrospect Guadalcanal without carriers, and carriers without subs make the whole affair sound very weak an offering originally. I am happy to see a game address these weaknesses without betraying the legacy one bit.

Of course I am personally very excited at the prospect of this game, and all the more at ease to know that KF is making it.  :hug:
We had no plans to do that before another couple years, so I am all eyes & ears, good luck to them :)

JasonPratt

I'm excited for both of your projects anyway!  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

The_Admiral

It's alright, everybody is entitled to an open relationship every now and then  :-"   ^-^

Destraex

You need to make your better by making it multiplayer admiral. I am betting based on killerfish's last real time release that theirs will not be.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FarAway Sooner

The South Pacific in late '42 was about the only period in the war where the US Army fought on vaguely equal terms to the enemy, in terms of logistics and equipment.  For that reason alone, I'm surprised that it hasn't seen more wargaming. 

I suspect that the emphasis on land AND sea combat is hard to balance.  Most games can do a good job of one or the other, but getting both right, and then balancing them correctly so it plays into a good experience for the gamer, has been an elusive target.  It's complicated further by the fact that, to really get the naval piece right, you need to master all 3 dimensions (surface-to-surface, air attacks, and submarine attacks).

I suspect that's one reason why so many WW II games focus on the Eastern Front.  The two forces often fought on vaguely equal terms, even if their strengths came from very different specific sources.

The_Admiral

Quote from: Destraex on April 04, 2020, 12:31:39 AM
You need to make your better by making it multiplayer admiral. I am betting based on killerfish's last real time release that theirs will not be.

It's planned. It will happen. Just not in vol.1 - we had to focus on something deliverable rather than something too ambitious, and fail at making it.  :pullhair:
Same thing with the Japanese. Not going to deliver the ultimate USN game and copy paste the content for the Japanese side. It would be too easy and really rewarding from my own perspective. I am a DNA patchwork myself, I can't come to terms with the idea that one size fits them all. Impossibru!  :hide:

You gotta have to suffer with us for the moment, alas. Although I've seen worse suffering, I can tell you that  :coolsmiley:
Our recent publisher deal makes us more secure, but not to the point we might suddenly make a strategic layer happen, or MP works. This is very specific set of skills required. Cold Waters itself kinda showcased it by not going for the original Redstorm Rising replay system. It requires much more work than what meets the eyes. By putting together a replay system of our own we are laying the groundwork for MP. Same with savegames. We're getting there, one step at a time with a pit stop - aka the release of Vol.1 - along the way. Stick with us, and we'll do right by you, or so I hope!  :dreamer:

Zulu1966

So only one question ...

W    H    E    N   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 04, 2020, 12:40:22 AM

I suspect that's one reason why so many WW II games focus on the Eastern Front.  The two forces often fought on vaguely equal terms, even if their strengths came from very different specific sources.

I'd say any part of WWII is very hard to model.  There are actually huge technical differences in how the different forces operated.  For example, the US and UK could read most of their foe's highest level, most (supposedly) totally secure communications for most of the war.  How on earth do you "model" that in a form that is "fun for both players"...cuz from day one, the Axis was on a one-way death ride to nowhere (in reality).  So that generally doesn't get modeled at all.  AND -- if you did model it, what would be the point?  Almost no other aspect of signals intelligence (hold on here while I admit my father was a cryptanalyst/signals intelligence guy in the early Cold War) ever gets modelled at all.  So from the top down most of WWII never comes close to being well modelled.  I think games are getting closer to good models on the tactical level and that's pretty interesting BUT how do you get something like the Japanese master-stroke at Savo Island in August 1942 into a game in a workable way given the amazing foul-ups by both sides on all sides of that one fine slice of brillance?
So...hmmm...Okay...the South Pacific in 1942 is probably a lot harder to model than say Little Saturn (but there are almost no models of Little Saturn anyway so...it's not entirely a matter of difficulty that skews WWII modeling into murky territory)
On the other hand, if something gets modelled often enough (such as ground fighting in Normandy) there does seem to be some kind of steady improvement against all the odds.

em2nought

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a happy camper as long as I don't see the words "StormPowered" associated with any of these upcoming offerings.  ;)
Stolen elections have consequences.