The Ascent - A Cyber Diablo Clone

Started by Gusington, May 19, 2021, 09:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

This looks epic to me...I may even pre-order, gaming harlot that I am  :nerd:

Getting vibes of that old Rolling Thunder platformer game from the 80s (one of my favorites) the Gears universe and of course cyber-Diablo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979690/The_Ascent/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Holy shit. What an amazing world these developers have created. There is so much going on in the environment around you, it's hard to actually not want to stop playing to take everything in. This is cyberpunk.

Very cool game so far. Really enjoying it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Just finished loading it and poked around just the slightest bit.

Got through a really tough few sessions in Metro: Exodus (awesome but brutally unforgiving) and hope to get a lot of time in with The Ascent this weekend, along with Gears Tactics and Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries (with the Inner Sphere DLC).

The Ascent is doing pretty well with Steam reviews too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

picked this up earlier today. love the aesthetics so far and enjoying the gameplay. running around my district now and picking up all the side quests and loot O0

Gusington

Reviews for it are going up on the Steam!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Not sure if I will like it, but its on my Gamepass subscription so worth a try...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 30, 2021, 07:33:23 PM
Not sure if I will like it, but its on my Gamepass subscription so worth a try...

Shit!?! it's on gamepass???
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2021, 07:42:51 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 30, 2021, 07:33:23 PM

Shit!?! it's on gamepass???

Yep, downloading now.....

Gusington

Are you not an ARPG or Diablo or cyberpunk guy?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I'm pretty hooked. The combat is pretty basic, but very addictive and satisfying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I've put like 10 hours into this over the weekend. It is highly addictive and I can see myself on an episode of Intervention.  "He had a great wife, loving daughters and a successful career and he threw it all away..."

The action is pretty repetitive, but just so damn satisfying that it never gets too old and just when you think it will, another layer opens up with new weapons, armor, augmentations and cyber modules. The story that was getting pretty mundane also renewed with a really cool twist and I really want to see where it goes so i literally have to pull myself away.  Some of the NPCs are really cool and there is humor here, but it is not over done at all. it works within the framework of the universe and story. 

It is certainly not perfect, as I don't like having absolutely zero control over the camera. Sometimes I would like it to be from a different angle and often I feel it is zoomed too close. But that aside, its a fantastic game and really a must buy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^If you could only take one cyber-themed game of the last 2-3 years with you to a desert island which would it be?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
^If you could only take one cyber-themed game of the last 2-3 years with you to a desert island which would it be?

Not too many choose from in that timeframe, so I'd say Cyberpunk 2077. One play through took me 70 hours and you can get a girlfriend and bang hookers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I knew that Cyberpunk 2077 is your first love in this genre and it may be unfair to compare The Ascent to Cyberpunk...but I just wanted to see what you'd say.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 02, 2021, 08:38:01 AM
I knew that Cyberpunk 2077 is your first love in this genre and it may be unfair to compare The Ascent to Cyberpunk...but I just wanted to see what you'd say.

If you want to get technical, Syndicate from 1993 and Syndicate Wars from 1996 are my first gaming loves in the genre. I also loved Deus Ex from 2000 and the prequel Human Revolution and its sequel, Mankind Divided, released in 2011 and 2016, respectively.

There are a lot of great games in the genre. Honorable mention to the System Shock series, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy and Satellite Reign. In VR, there is a game in development called Low-Fi, which is available in early access. The atmosphere is amazing. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog