Nvidia Gaming System

Started by TheCommandTent, January 08, 2013, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteWhile Nvidia has been an important player in the video game industry for years, it has never been a direct competitor to console manufacturers.

That's about to change.

During a press conference kicking off the annual CES trade show in Las Vegas, the company unveiled its own mobile gaming system: an Android device running the company's just announced Tegra 4 processor chip.

Currently called Project Shield, the system is essentially a chunky game controller with a flip-up, 5-inch multi-touch display. It's also got standard analog sticks and game buttons as well as plenty of horsepower under the hood.

The intriguing device boasts a variety of standard connectors, too, and can be attached to a big screen TV via an HDMI cable (CEO Jen-Hsun Huang showed off  this capability on a 4K/Ultra High Definition set at the press event.)

"This is the culmination of five years of work," Huang said. "You can enjoy it on the small display or enjoy the same game on your television."

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/nvidia-announces-shield-mobile-game-console-204027643.html

Maybe it is just me but I am not seeing the appeal here.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

I don't see it either. Not really a console, not really a handheld device.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

It's a Gameboy with more buttons.

I think I see the method to their madness.

Tablets have exploded in popularity, but have very limited interface choices. This changes the limited inputs. It's highly portable, has a familiar interface (game pad), and is highly portable. Given the popularity of Gameboys this could be a win.

The downside is that they're going to have to create the market all by themselves. If they succeed, they'll be alone in it for a while. Personally I have no need for this. At least I think I don't.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

It isn't exactly the most convenient thing in the world, is it? I mean, you aren't going to tuck that in to a pocket. And I don't know that I'd want it rattling around in a backpack or what not in close proximity to anything with any weight.

I also find it very interesting that they made zero mention of battery life. That's what can absolutely make or break a mobile system.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell