Tabletop playtesters needed for Operational-level games

Started by bayonetbrant, January 29, 2014, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

a lot of web-design-tied apps will let you do "slices"
I know photoshop does
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

What I need is a way to do 'tiles' corresponding to each counter where each gets saved as a different image file. It looks like there may be some way to do it with a script but that kind of thing is deepest, darkest unexplored jungle for my meager skills. Still, no time like the present to learn a new thing, eh?  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

that's what the slices do - it segments the images as though they were each going to be separate 'tiles' (image files) in an overall grid for a webpage.

Macromedia Fireworks used to do it very easily.
After adobe bought macromedia, they rolled some of those functions into photoshop, but not as elegantly b/c PS is designed to really be doing other things
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

In Photoshop, there's a Marquee tool in the tool bar - it looks like a dotted square, or circle, depending on what was last selected. It's basically like a Crop tool - you click, drag, and frame what you want to 'pull out' of the image at hand.

What I usually do is do a grab like that, then copy-paste it into a new window, and if it looks perfect I'll use that new window as the place where I save all my PNGs (or whatever) from. Then you just go back to the original image, reselect the counter layer, and do it again...copy, go to new image, paste, save as PNG or what have you, and rinse/repeat.

HyperSnap lets you crop, although it's not as precise as Photoshop, in my experience. Basically you crop it, save it, then undo it back to the original image and repeat.

I don't know GIMP, although I know what it is, I've never worked with it before.

Staggerwing

That basic select tool is in GIMP as well. I was hoping to create a multiple-tile 'cookie cutter' that saves each clip as a separate file in one pass, requiring me only to line up right the number of cut-lines along the x and y axis. It would save a lot of time but I can do it the old way, one counter at a time as well. The only tile option in GIMP is one that takes your image and then creates multiple tiles from the entire thing, not just individual sections. I'm still checking out some options but ran out of time shoveling snow and what-not.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

BanzaiCat

Oh, duh. Photoshop DOES do that, but it's a bit of a pain. You basically do one Marquee tool selection (click-drag-let go), then press and hold SHIFT and do multiple selections off the one layer. There's also a way to mess with masks, but I'm not as familiar with masking in Photoshop (though I do it all the time in Flash). I'd have to trial-and-error it to see if I can get it to work in PS. If you want to e-mail me a file that I can 'play' with I'd be glad to give it a shot, though it likely won't be until tomorrow. PM me if so.

Staggerwing

It looks like the 'click-drag-let-go then shift-click-drag-let-go' thing works in GIMP as well. The problem is you can still only save all selections into just 1 new file (leaving any space between the sections as empty or transparent, i'm guessing). I'm going to check out a few things I found on the net but if that fails I'll probably just 'click-drag-let-go-crop-save-as' for each counter. I've already cut up the counters into nationalities to make it a little easier. Luckily the 'disrupted' etc, only need to be saved once.

BanzaiCat

Staggerwing

Tru dat.  :D

Who know, after this I may decide to start up again on my Cruiser Warfare module I put down about 6 years ago...