1E AD&D Play by Post Groghead Forum Game

Started by Double Deuce, April 21, 2014, 01:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Any interest in putting those dusty, semi abandoned 1st Edition AD&D books to use here on these forums?

We would stick with 1E characters but using Medieval England, circa 1190 AD as the game world but with a fantasy tweak. All PC's start at 1st level, magic available but limited (preferring Clerics and Druids). The Norsemen are on the prowl again and the party has been hired to help patrol the kingdom's borders and keep them at bay.

I figure 1-2 posts per day and think we need at least 2-3 players to make this work.

More details to follow as I work them out over the next few days.

bayonetbrant

I might could be convinced, but I'd be the oddball in the group in that it's easier for me to play at work during the day than at home in the evenings.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

DD you know I would be in for this!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

twitter3

I'm in! I was just reading through my 1st ed box set.

Double Deuce

Got my copy of Lionheart: Living in History: England 1190 in the mail today. This will be the basis for the campaign world, but with an alternate history fantasy theme.   ;)

Double Deuce

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 21, 2014, 03:06:56 PM
I'd be the oddball in the group in that it's easier for me to play at work during the day than at home in the evenings.

I work from home at night so days are my game time too.

Double Deuce

All 1E classes are eligible for play, including those in Dragon Magazines with the exception a very few that are clearly NPC types like the Anti-Paladin. If you have a question on those please ask. Magic will be present BUT limited.

Double Deuce

If anyone wants to start generating their character feel free. For stats, roll 4d6, drop the lowest and put them in order of preference. Recommended race is Human but others are acceptable.

twitter3

When is the start date?  Just want to make sure I get it done in time.

Double Deuce

Quote from: twitter3 on April 22, 2014, 06:05:46 PM
When is the start date?  Just want to make sure I get it done in time.

No set start date atm.  Anyone who wants to get a start on character creation is free to do so. Some might want to see what class others are choosing before they do theirs, just figured I'd welcome everyone to start thinking about it and voicing their preferences.

Double Deuce

General concept . . 

The campaign world is set in England, 1199 AD BUT with a fantasy theme. In other words, the foul creatures from AD&D roam the lands, not in massive quantities, but they are there. There are many 'haunted' and remote places where these beasts can be found but of late they have become more aggressive, venturing out from their lairs. Some say it is the recent crowning of Prince John as King of England that triggered the anger of the gods and unleashed renewed evil upon the land. So the people not only have to deal with war and bandits but also the wandering monster.

Current events . . .

April 6, 1199,  King Richard, wounded by an arrow to the shoulder at the siege of Chaluz Castle is dead, finally succumbing to gangrene. Hearing of his death, Prince John rides to Chinon to seize the treasury and then goes on to Westminster Abbey to claim the throne even though Richard appointed his 11 year old nephew Arthur of Brittany, as his successor before his death. A council of barons assembles in Northhampton and most swear fealty to John with the exception of the barons of Brittany, Anjou, Touraine and Maine. War becomes inevitable as William of Scotland invades from the north and King Philip of France attacks English holdings in Normandy. John sends and army north to meet William and personally heads to Normandy to lead the army there.

War is upon the English Isles and few places are safe as many use the confusion and chaos to exact revenge for real or imagined slights. Nearby Irish, Danes and Norse take the opportunity to descend upon England in search of treasure, slaves and anything else they can grab.

The players are part of a group of patrols previously tasked by Richard with roaming the coasts to defend the realm against raiders, human or otherwise. Currently camped in the village outside of Scarborough Castle, northeast of York your last orders were to head to Whitby Abbey and investigate recent disappearances and animal mutilations reported by the villagers there. According the monks at the abbey, the cause is a manifestation of evil in the nearby Yorkshire Moors from the tortured souls of the Saxons put to the sword over 100 years earlier during the Harrying of the North who have recently arisen to take vengeance on the Normans.

TheCommandTent

Do you have a character sheet we can start to fill in?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 23, 2014, 05:40:49 AM
Do you have a character sheet we can start to fill in?

The best I have found so far is this one for OSRIC (a 1e AD&D retro clone). It should suffice till I find another, if its out there.

Double Deuce

Adding to the earlier post about the campaign concept  . .

While the party was part of a group of patrols previously tasked by King Richard with roaming the coasts to defend the realm against raiders, human or otherwise, the new king, John, has decided these patrols, many of whom he considers overly loyal to Richard to allow their "continued existence", are no longer needed and any "owed" moneys are forfeit to the crown. This means you are about broke (with the exception of starting character funds) and on your own, and probably not going to be too well received by the new king's allies.

Based on that it will likely be in the party's best interest to head to Whitby Abbey to meet up with the monks there and hang out for the time being in case there is a need to seek sanctuary. Besides that, it should be easy to shake any pursuers heading off into the Yorkshire Moors.

Double Deuce

For recommended classes I would say at least 1 should be wilderness oriented, either a Druid or Ranger type.