Main Menu

Coders / Developers Needed

Started by bayonetbrant, January 11, 2014, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I need some people that can code a couple of small projects for web-based release.

I do not want a bunch of links about how I can do this myself.  I have no time or inclination to figure it out.
That said, I write tech specs for a living and have a solid set of executable requirements for someone to work from in creating these two projects.

Project 1
I need someone who can work on a Google Maps project, including overlays onto Google Maps, and exports of the map to downloadable files

Project 2
I need someone who can work with Flash or Java and put together a web app to create some documents for download, mixing some text and graphics on the page from predefined image sets and fixed text areas on the images.

I'm not in a position to spend a hell of a lot of money on these things, but given the level of distribution I'm expecting on them, I'm totally happy giving all the code credit to the person(s) working on them, and point others in his direction for future work.

I'm OK with a friend-of-a-friend references, but I need people who already know what they're doing, not people who are just hacking away at something because they think they know.

Unfortunately, my usual go-to resources for something like this are already stacked up with other projects, so I don't have them to lean on.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

Just to be clear, you want proven experience. You want it for free with just giving them credit for their work. There seems a disconnect there.
BTW, they would retain copyright, they are not going to contract that to you for free.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

I'm OK with someone learning their way through it.  I'm not OK with me learning my way through it.

Ideally, it'll be a gamer who knows some coding who is willing to spend a weekend (at most) punching through some code we'll host here at GH and contribute something back to the gaming community, or a student looking for a project they might could get some class credit for.

And I can't spend much, but there may be a few bucks here and there we can cough up to cover a date night or two as a "thanks".
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 07, 2014, 01:23:11 PM
Just to be clear, you want proven experience. You want it for free with just giving them credit for their work. There seems a disconnect there.
BTW, they would retain copyright, they are not going to contract that to you for free.

I've done a lot more for a lot less... aka marriage with drought and complications
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

If you want people to buy into a project at little benefit to them they have to understand if there is some altruistic benefit to others that they want to be a part of. That is the whole foundation of open source projects. It is the whole foundation of contributing in forums.

If you hide the project for competitive reasons you have to adopt the alternate model of capitalism. People will work for money.

There is nothing in between, all that happens is nothing gets done.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 07, 2014, 04:09:24 PMIf you want people to buy into a project at little benefit to them they have to understand if there is some altruistic benefit to others that they want to be a part of. That is the whole foundation of open source projects. It is the whole foundation of contributing in forums.

this is 100% intenteded to altruistically support the wargaming hobby - we're going to host the projects here at GH and let anyone use them for free :)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Sounds great. Give us some idea of what you have in mind. I'm sure people do not want to step foreward, find out it is not up their alley, then create bad feeling by leaving after getting knowledge of what is going on.

Start the buzz.

bayonetbrant

The first one is to help spiff up Google Maps for wargamers

The second one is for game counters / markers