Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

We had virtually the same thing happen a couple of years back. I had my computer and TV off and unplugged. Lightening hit the Powerline pole right outside the house and the surge came in through the Router, past my Surge Protector, and fried the Router, my computer, and F-'ed-Up the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. New computer, new Router, new TV, and new Surge Protector followed.  Fortunately my local Computer Person retrieved all my info off the old computer and onto the new one. She told me nothing on Earth can save you from a direct hit by lightening.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 02, 2021, 10:32:14 AM
We had virtually the same thing happen a couple of years back. I had my computer and TV off and unplugged. Lightening hit the Powerline pole right outside the house and the surge came in through the Router, past my Surge Protector, and fried the Router, my computer, and F-'ed-Up the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. New computer, new Router, new TV, and new Surge Protector followed.  Fortunately my local Computer Person retrieved all my info off the old computer and onto the new one. She told me nothing on Earth can save you from a direct hit by lightening.  :'(

Yes. Sounds very similar. I consider myself lucky that more damage was not done.

I'm looking into a whole house surge protector now. They only run between $300 - $400. Not sure entirely how effective they are, but it has to be better than nothing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Hmm didn't know that something like that was available.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 02, 2021, 11:32:34 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 02, 2021, 10:32:14 AM

Yes. Sounds very similar. I consider myself lucky that more damage was not done.

I'm looking into a whole house surge protector now. They only run between $300 - $400. Not sure entirely how effective they are, but it has to be better than nothing.

When we moved into our home around 20 years ago, surprisingly our home was a magnet for lightening strikes and got hit a number of times.  In one summer, we lost (3) TVs, computer, and other equipment.  One of our family who is an electrician recommended the home surge protector and we immediately installed it.  Since then, not a single issue for a fairly small price to install.  Well worth it in my opinion.  Of course now I have lost the excuse to upgrade my equipment as frequently:)

Gusington

Is a whole house surge protector easy to install or is a professional needed?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on August 02, 2021, 04:32:48 PM

I am not handy enough to do myself, we had our relative who is electrician do.  Didn't take him much time if I recall correctly.

Gusington

^Thanks. Looking at them now, there are many to choose from.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

My buddy is an electrician. He told me for the price of a beer, he could do it in 7 seconds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 02, 2021, 06:36:15 PM

My body is an electrician. He told me for the price of a beer, he could do it in 7 seconds.

:-\  ??? Typos on the internet...can/could be so much fun.  :-"  :hide: >:D 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on August 02, 2021, 06:59:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 02, 2021, 06:36:15 PM

My body is an electrician. He told me for the price of a beer, he could do it in 7 seconds.

:-\  ??? Typos on the internet...can/could be so much fun.  :-"  :hide: >:D

Ugh. Fixed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Hmm maybe I could do it myself. I'll try drinking a few beers first.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Beer always helps. It can really help after you lose a TV and a computer to lightning. Or...like I'm having to do right now, replace the house AC unit.  :hide:  In August.  :hide: :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Does home owner's insurance cover damage from lightning strikes?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Mine did, but there's always a deductible.  :hide: