Fighting Science Sports - What are you watching?

Started by Dammit Carl!, October 02, 2021, 09:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Currently enjoying the "Bare Knuckle," stuff on YouTube - brutal (of course) but takes out the MMA stuff and seems to re-focus on old school boxing but with modern sensibilities; referees step in mighty damn quick and shut any MMA "reactions," down pronto and owing to the newness of the sport, the boxers aren't these polished hype machines so we don't get that McGregor-esque bullshit (so far).  Saw an episode filmed in Omaha, I think, where a lot of Nebraska talent did great, for example.

And am always digging the deep video dives into the classic boxers that are out there.

How 'bout you folks?

Destraex

Rugby Union of late - world cup is not until next year. Yes it is a proper world cup like soccer is... well not as many countries but a lot. Just watched some recent test matches. Enjoying trying to learn the finer points of the incredibly complex rules of Rugger.

NFL - All set to watch some American Football. I watched some of the draft this year. Have never seen that before. Looking forward to watching some games.

Soccer\Football - Will take some matches in most likely. Although soccer can be kinda pedestian with the diving and passing back and forth.

Ice Hockey - Want to catch some of those games as well. But the season is not here. Have never really watched that.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 02, 2021, 09:36:09 PM
Currently enjoying the "Bare Knuckle," stuff on YouTube - brutal (of course) but takes out the MMA stuff and seems to re-focus on old school boxing but with modern sensibilities; referees step in mighty damn quick and shut any MMA "reactions," down pronto and owing to the newness of the sport, the boxers aren't these polished hype machines so we don't get that McGregor-esque bullshit (so far).  Saw an episode filmed in Omaha, I think, where a lot of Nebraska talent did great, for example.

And am always digging the deep video dives into the classic boxers that are out there.

How 'bout you folks?

Also watching some of the bare knuckle stuff. Street Beefs are entertaining because the fighters are very amateur and they tend to be more like backyard brawls. Finally, Russian slap contests are still totally amazing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Hahaha I didn't think anyone watched the Russian slap contests besides me!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Will have to look that one up; have only seen the highlight stuff where super-tat guy gets his DNA re-arranged by some enormous fellow on the other end of the table.

Destraex

I tell you what. Just finished South Africa VS All Blacks (New Zealand). Man that was a good game. So parmped after that one.

BTW anybody got a youtube link to the bare knuckle stuff you guys are talking about?

Sir Slash

I've never seen any Bare-Knuckles stuff but I love the UFC. Or did before it went solo with more PPV fights. I only rarely watch it now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2021, 10:42:25 PM
BTW anybody got a youtube link to the bare knuckle stuff you guys are talking about?

Destraex

Dammit Carl!

I say "stuff," too much; my apologies.  Time to utilize the online thesaurus.

Destraex

In case anybody is interested here. The highlights of South Africa vs New Zealand in Rugby Union. It's probably meaningless to you boys as NFL was to me without knowing the rules and tactical\strategic positions for context.

Jarhead0331

These guys are mostly Russian and Eastern European and are mostly all tough as nails. Watch the two guys at 6:48. My God.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

The "Rhythm Boxing," channel on YouTube is a trove of highlights of the boxers of yore (okay, 70's onward mostly for now) and up until a few notables from today.  I'd say give it a look.

And that TopDog footage...dang.  Kinda reminds me of "Friday Night Fights," on USA back in the day where pretty much any dude off the street could seemingly get some time in the ring.