Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Something different coming....no idea how it will actually turn out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2233150/Angola_86/

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Nice...I'm currently reading Gunship Ace: The Wars of Neall Ellis, Helicopter Pilot and Mercenary. He was a Rhodesian born South African trained helicopter pilot who fought in pretty much all of the wars on the continent since the late 1970s. Fascinating era of armed conflict in terms of political motivations, equipment used and tactics employed. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

The fact that it's coming from Every Single Soldier (of Vietnam 65, Afghanistan 11) makes me sit up and take notice.

devoncop

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on May 24, 2023, 11:50:06 AMThe fact that it's coming from Every Single Soldier (of Vietnam 65, Afghanistan 11) makes me sit up and take notice.

Ah.. I did think the premise and mechanics look very similar to the Afghan game which I also have got. I want to see how if at all they have improved on that game which was decent but which had a fairly obvious meta approach to win.

It would be nice to play as SWAPO and their backers for variety.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Boggit

Quote from: devoncop on May 24, 2023, 12:28:39 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on May 24, 2023, 11:50:06 AMThe fact that it's coming from Every Single Soldier (of Vietnam 65, Afghanistan 11) makes me sit up and take notice.

Ah.. I did think the premise and mechanics look very similar to the Afghan game which I also have got. I want to see how if at all they have improved on that game which was decent but which had a fairly obvious meta approach to win.

It would be nice to play as SWAPO and their backers for variety.
I agree. It would be a very different game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Really interesting war...still feels like 'current events' for me and at the same time I know next to nothing about most of these bush wars. Looking up Gunship Ace now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2023, 07:48:02 PMReally interesting war...still feels like 'current events' for me and at the same time I know next to nothing about most of these bush wars. Looking up Gunship Ace now.

A lot of the participants are getting older or passed on.

If you were a school leaver and did not go on to study you would have received your 'papers' requiring to do 2 years of national service and a number of 'camps' afterwards.

If I got it right if you were of fighting age you could be called up for operation in Northern Namibia or into Angola

Depends on you posting you could also end up as a supporting the SAP in a township. In my opinion definitely not so good deal Vs being posted to the Caprivi.  :undecided:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Saw a post that suggests first access being ready in the 3rd quarter this year.

Sir Slash

I remember reading everything I could in the papers back then about these conflicts, which damned-near nothing, because the TV news gave almost nothing about what was going on then over there. There must be many great stories about the whole conflict.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 25, 2023, 09:54:33 AMI remember reading everything I could in the papers back then about these conflicts, which damned-near nothing, because the TV news gave almost nothing about what was going on then over there. There must be many great stories about the whole conflict.

And that's still the case even today for the Iran-Iraq War to a large extent.

fran

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 25, 2023, 09:54:33 AMI remember reading everything I could in the papers back then about these conflicts, which damned-near nothing, because the TV news gave almost nothing about what was going on then over there. There must be many great stories about the whole conflict.
Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2023, 07:59:44 AM^Were you drafted?

I grew up in South Africa at the end of Apartheid. I did get my 'papers' or call up notice. At the time national service was reduced to only 1 year rather than the 2 years previously.

I was called up to 8th Infantry Battalion based in the Northern Cape province town of Upington.

What I know of Upington is that in summer time, basic training would stop due to excessive heat.

In the end I did not go, as I went on to study. Although I did not ask for exemption as national service was not enforced and done away with shortly after.

Just Googled according wikipedia: Conscription in South Africa was established in 1967 and abolished in 1994 via a constitutional amendment.

So abolished at the time of the first democratic elections.

Every Single Soldier

Hi guys, I am the developer of Angola'86.

I was a SA Marines Ensign (2Lt) 85-87, this is a passion project for me, following on my successfull previous two titles dealing with COIN wars (Vietnam'65 and Afghanistan'11).

I am happy to take any questions etc and am always on the lookout for playtesters :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Every Single Soldier on June 03, 2023, 02:40:51 AMHi guys, I am the developer of Angola'86.

I was a SA Marines Ensign (2Lt) 85-87, this is a passion project for me, following on my successfull previous two titles dealing with COIN wars (Vietnam'65 and Afghanistan'11).

I am happy to take any questions etc and am always on the lookout for playtesters :)

Sign me up as a tester if you do have room.  Just let me know how.