Sports Illustrated AI Scandal

Started by ArizonaTank, November 29, 2023, 11:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Apparently Sports Illustrated used AI to generate a reporter, his story, and even including his picture.

I understand that AI reporters are cheaper than real ones.... So good old capitalism at work. :evil:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67560354

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tripoli

As long as the Swimsuit models are real, I'm good.... :grin:

[edit] Humor aside, I can't believe they were so stupid so as to pull this stunt.  They had to know they would be caught, and they had to know that it would piss off their customers.  Here's a thought experiment: If I can use AI for free, why can't I have AI write sports stories for me, rather than pay SI to do so?  Aside from saving money, it has the additional benefit of me not being lied to by a corporation....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Working in publishing this does not surprise even one tiny bit.

In fact I know 100% it's just the tip of the iceberg in what's going on with AI in the industry.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

'I find your modern world frightening and disturbing.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Also interesting to me is how do copyrights work for these AI generated stories in Sports Illustrated?  I believe human authorship is required for copyrights.

Maybe the lawyers among us can elaborate.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on November 29, 2023, 02:12:32 PMAs long as the Swimsuit models are real, I'm good.... :grin:

[edit] Humor aside, I can't believe they were so stupid so as to pull this stunt.  They had to know they would be caught, and they had to know that it would piss off their customers.  Here's a thought experiment: If I can use AI for free, why can't I have AI write sports stories for me, rather than pay SI to do so?  Aside from saving money, it has the additional benefit of me not being lied to by a corporation....

And then, the AI will realize it doesn't need SI either.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 29, 2023, 09:34:59 PMAlso interesting to me is how do copyrights work for these AI generated stories in Sports Illustrated?  I believe human authorship is required for copyrights.

Maybe the lawyers among us can elaborate.

Per our legal department we've certainly advised all our authors that is the case.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd