Starter Sets and Introducing RPGs

Started by Bison, February 24, 2016, 10:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'll have to look up the minis.  I have no idea what they actually look like but if the game goes over well I'm sure I'll develop a compulsion to get some.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on February 25, 2016, 08:26:36 PM
I'll have to look up the minis.  I have no idea what they actually look like but if the game goes over well I'm sure I'll develop a compulsion to get some.

You will. They're quite cool.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Bison on February 25, 2016, 02:57:18 PM
Don't you roll against your current skill level to see if you increase the skill?  I seem to recall that being the mechanic, but I only played it once or twice several decades ago.

That's the same basic mechanic HarnMaster uses for advancing skills.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on February 26, 2016, 12:30:50 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 25, 2016, 02:57:18 PM
Don't you roll against your current skill level to see if you increase the skill?  I seem to recall that being the mechanic, but I only played it once or twice several decades ago.

That's the same basic mechanic HarnMaster uses for advancing skills.

IIRC Runequest has you make a check next to the skills you use.  Then, when the leveling-up occurs, you have to roll higher than the skill (what would normally be a fail) in order to raise it some small random(?) bit.  So the better your character gets at it, theoretically the less often they improve at it.

I think the latest edition has some extra rule so that it automatically goes up a bit if you miss repeated attempts to raise it.  For some kind of insurance against strings of bad skill-up rolls.  I also seem to recall there being a small amount of skills you could focus on when rolling for skill increases each time in order to get a bonus, but it may have been an optional rule or something.

Not sure, as I just skimmed some tidbits of 6th Edition - the full rulebook is massive!  I think there have been various such tweaks in it (and over the years).  Still not something for beginners!

My biggest complaint about Runequest, back in the day, was the Glorantha setting.  The old set I owned didn't come with much specific setting info.  But when I checked out their dedicated world, it seemed like an overdone and confusing mess.  I like the idea of a Greco-Roman style fantasy setting, but the Glorantha stuff was just too alien at first glance. 

I only decided to pick up the new one when I noticed it has a couple new setting options.  One is a more recognizable Greco-Roman inspired high fantasy "sword and sandals" stuff.  Another is an Arthurian Britain setting, based on a series of novels, with more historically feasible trappings (post-Roman & the Saxon Migrantvasion, no plate armor here!) and some interesting low-magic stuff.   Will it ever get properly played?  Dunno.  But there is much reading and ideas to be gleaned.

I'm unfamiliar with the Harnmaster system, although I've heard of it.  It's been around for awhile, too, right?

I enjoy reading how different systems are intended to run, their mechanics, and their fictional settings.  So please enlighten me on the ones that do stuff differently than most.  I'll try to keep these wall-of-text yammerings on RPG systems a bit less lengthy in the future.

Bison

I haven't heard of Harnmaster either, but the skill level up process in Runequest that you described is what I recall.  So it isn't exactly like the process in FFG's SW where you earn XP that is spend on ability/skill/proficiencies stat increases.

It's actually pretty amazing just how many RPG systems are out there to be played.  I'm so main stream man with my D&D, Pathfinder, and Star Wars!  :)

Bison

I will say that looking through the FFG site at the SW RPG resources and just FFG in general the potential outlaying of money just makes me sick.  FFG is really not a wallet friendly company.  I'm not sure how anyone affords to play more than just one of their games or  maybe just the basic/core product of a couple of them.  Amazing really.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on February 26, 2016, 10:03:20 AM
I will say that looking through the FFG site at the SW RPG resources and just FFG in general the potential outlaying of money just makes me sick.  FFG is really not a wallet friendly company.  I'm not sure how anyone affords to play more than just one of their games or  maybe just the basic/core product of a couple of them.  Amazing really.

You're not telling me anything new! 

I got into some Descent 2nd Ed. awhile back.  They have a constant stream of expansions for it.  Which is great, having such variety to add but damn does the cost add up when you start doing so!  They're doing the same thing with it's sister game Imperial Assault, of course.  Also with Eldritch Horror

Pretty much every popular game line they have gets hordes of expansions.  They're not cheap either!  In the case of Eldritch Horror, the regular box-sized expansions cost about as much as the original core game.  :o

On the other hand.. I think their SW rpg core books have a lot to offer and cover many bases.  The only additions I've seen were a bunch of ability card fluff (not needed) and a handful of adventure/supplements (also not really needed).  Buying the custom dice (probably two sets of them, if you don't have a starter kit) is about the only extra I consider essential.

Nefaro

Also..

I just saw that FFG is now reprinting their new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which uses the same core system as Star Wars.  Albeit with it's own custom style of dice & associated symbols.  Last I heard, they had stopped making the line.  ???

Had been wanting to pick that up awhile back, when it was freshly out of print, but not sure now that I found Shadow of the Demon Lord, which has a similar feel and costs far less.

Bison

Yeah it why I'm got a couple of basic sets like D&D and SW, which ever one is successful at the table is the system I'll be sticking with for right now.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on February 26, 2016, 10:23:45 AM
Yeah it why I'm got a couple of basic sets like D&D and SW, which ever one is successful at the table is the system I'll be sticking with for right now.

I hope you get into the SW groove, and out of the typical old D&D "comfort zone". 

There are quite a few newer RPG systems around, which are great evolutionary leaps over the old cookie cutter stuff.  I know that people are wary of change, and tend to wanna stay in that old comfort zone where they don't have to learn anything new.  But there is some great stuff to be had when you venture beyond.  ^-^

It's cool that you're open to taking that step.  Many aren't.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on February 26, 2016, 10:20:33 AM
Also..

I just saw that FFG is now reprinting their new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which uses the same core system as Star Wars.  Albeit with it's own custom style of dice & associated symbols.  Last I heard, they had stopped making the line.  ???

Had been wanting to pick that up awhile back, when it was freshly out of print, but not sure now that I found Shadow of the Demon Lord, which has a similar feel and costs far less.

Shadows of the Demon Lord gets Sigmar's blessing.  FFG's version of WFRP does not.  Do not be the heretic lest ye be judged...lacking.  :knuppel2:

(I kid, I kid - play what thou will)

Dungeon World has to be the "new kid on the block," that really strikes my fancy, so bring on the new stuff, I say!

Bison

Well the oldest and I finished up the first part of the SW Age of Rebellion starter mission.  It went well enough and the she really loved role playing and already wants to play more, which is cool for me.  The one downside is just my own personal unfamiliarity with the rules and all of the stats/skills/talents.  Not a huge issue but she is pretty quick to notice if I forget to pick up a dice or use a different skill then we used earlier.  Kids really get these thing quicker than adults do I think.  And not knowing the skills makes it hard to say use this skill/talent to check to do X.  Anyway all in all it was a lot of fun.

We decided to take a break and give the Pathfinder starter adventure a go later on today.  I know the rules are more complex but my familiarity will offset that a bit. 

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Thanks!  Getting ready to dive into the Pathfinder adventure in a little bit.  Should be interesting it'll be the first time playing Pathfinder/D&D 3.5 for the kids and....THE WIFE!  I have no idea how this is going to go but it'll be amusing for sure.