After Action Reports > Digital Gaming AARs

Why do people do AARs?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Tanaka:
I've been back and forth about doing my first ever AAR on my first ever WITPAE PBEM game. I LOVE the game and all of the detail but the turns especially as the Japanese take a lot of work. The first turn took me about two weeks and now I am doing 1 turn per day. So after spending so much on a turn per day I can't imagine spending even more time on an AAR. I think it would be really fun to do to document the game but I'm back and forth on the time and commitment. I think it would wear me out. I really admire those that do.

Karri:
It's creative writing for me. More importantly probably to be part of some (online) community. Also, once upon a time, it was a good way to learn English. I must have written my first AARs some twenty years ago.

fran:
 It is sharing with others the 'oh sh**' moments that are normally only experienced by an individual with others. Allowing me to follow games I won't necessarily play or don't have the time for.

al_infierno:

--- Quote from: fran on September 30, 2021, 10:39:39 AM --- It is sharing with others the 'oh sh**' moments that are normally only experienced by an individual with others. Allowing me to follow games I won't necessarily play or don't have the time for.

--- End quote ---

Mainly this, I rarely do AARs but every now and then I have to jot down a writeup of a nice "Damn!" moment I had while playing a game.  Usually a cool story thread involving struggle and adversity and ultimately failing in hilarious ways.

Also adding to what Karri stated above, it's a nice creative outlet where the story and characters are already plotted out for you.   :dreamer:

Toonces:

--- Quote from: Tanaka on September 10, 2021, 02:46:32 AM ---I've been back and forth about doing my first ever AAR on my first ever WITPAE PBEM game. I LOVE the game and all of the detail but the turns especially as the Japanese take a lot of work. The first turn took me about two weeks and now I am doing 1 turn per day. So after spending so much on a turn per day I can't imagine spending even more time on an AAR. I think it would be really fun to do to document the game but I'm back and forth on the time and commitment. I think it would wear me out. I really admire those that do.

--- End quote ---

I haven't done this, but I have considered doing a WitP:AE AAR from the perspective of one ship or one commander.  Rather than try to capture everything that is going on, you simply tell the story from the perspective of a unit or person, say the USS Enterprise or even a Japanese DD, or maybe Spruance or a VF squadron commander.

I think that would make for a very compelling narrative.  In fact, I might just have to try this.    :nerd:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version